more then few Questions

30dayreviews

Hello, I am new to the forum as well as boat building I am planning on Building a stonefly or two this summer. I have a few questions that I hope you all can answer. 

1. I was looking around to see about natural simulated sinew and noticed that Amazon has 300 yeards at 70lbs on 8 oz spool  (https://www.amazon.com/1-X-Natural-Simulated-Sinew/dp/B00DGBZG2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520221354&sr=8-1&keywords=sinue) wondering if it is bad too so up to the 70 lbs opposed to the 50lbs sold on Kudzus website? will it not sow well? has anyone else used this? 

2. when ordering fabric from Kudzu it says by the foot is that just the length with a standard width or do I need to put both dimensions in? also How much did you order for your stone fly project?

3. what fabric do you like best and why?

4. if you could only get ahold of pine how would you seal it best to get the longest life out of it?

5.whats your favorite way to seal the fabric?

6. If you thought you would be making more then one ( paying the usage fee of course) what would you use to make a long-lasting template out of? 

thank you all for any and all help I look forward to your responses and I thank you ahead of time 

The Amazon.com string didn't review well and if it fails after the boat is complete then the rework will cost a new skin, proven sinew and a bunch of time.

For templates, my local supplier sells Baltic Birch plywood as thin as 1/8". Or you could use the first ship set to template the second.

#1 - I have used that exact artificial sinew on at least 3 boats and it worked well and is still holding up. It has been on one of the boats at least 3 years and I have seen no signs of deterioration. 

#2 - Just order the length you need for your boat. The width is sold as a standard width.

#3 - I have used a heavy 11 ounce fabric sold by Jeff and also his economy 6 ounce fabric. The heavy stuff was harder to get tight and did not shrink much with heat. The lighter stuff has to be handled and stitched with more care or the weave can pull apart rather easily. Jeff has a premium 6 ounce that may have different qualities but I have not used it. I have used the economy fabric on 2 kayaks and have been very happy with it. 

#4 - Don't have an opinion here. I have even used Thompsens Water Seal because it's much cheaper than most of the other products and I had a lot of it around. I use my kayaks a lot and have seen no problems with the frames.

#5 - It hasn't seemed to catch on with many others but I use thinned PL Premium Construction Adhesive and am very pleased with the results. Tough, rubbery, smooth...and it greatly lessens the amount of paint needed. 

#6 The Baltic Birch ply you can get should work good for templates. Also 1/8" tempered would work.