BRS 15 mk2, # 1

Travis Votaw

Bobby Chilek is building me a BRS 15 mk2 (#1), original BRS 15 redesign by Graham. Slightly beamier and deeper, with offset centerboard up against seat front. Bobby is now the proud (I think) owner of Pilgrim, Princss 22 #12 built for me by Charlie Jones. Graham says she will hold a total displacement of 800 lbs,, plenty for a couple guys to take a week-long excursion, such as the Texas 200. 

Outside of hull is glassed but not finished sanding/filling. Now to see if I can add a picture...

361C4956-BE65-4CE4-B063-E57588C82E88.jpeg

Travis,

It looks quite a bit different from the original.  The wide flat on the stem is gone.  I wonder if the bottom rocker has been changed?  Where was the added beam put in?  I expect it will be bit dryer in chop and I hope it will retain the all round utility of the original which I thought was an ideal small skiff.

Tom

Bobby is doing a great job. By the glue drops on the floor it looks like this is not his first build.

Tom, I agree that the Brs 15 gives about the best bang for the buck around. That day the three of us in our BRS's were running and surfing up the Bay River the day after the hurricane is still one of my favorite sailing memories.

She just has more freeboard and a tiny bit wider, the rocker is still the same. I was just trying to make her a bit safer like the CS17. I have seen the CS17 heeled over to where I could see the centerboard root out of the water and still return back to an even keel without any help from the crew. The standard BRS would have capsized well before this.

Here is a render of the BRS mk2 heeling at 45 degrees.

BRS 15 @45 deg.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

When and where is this expected to hit the water?

I am curious if the designer expects to make plans available for purchase eventually. I want to build a boat (in one side of my 2 car garage) that provides a good combination of sailing fun and fishing practicality (planes with 2 guys and a 15-20 hp outboard, stable enough to stand on and fish). I've been contemplating a BRS15 mk1 or a CS 15 for a while with the sense that the BRS is probably the better fishing boat / outboard motor performer and the CS is likely to be a little drier in a chop and a better/faster sailboat. Maybe this BRS Mk2 concept will fall somewhere in between?

Thrillsbe (Builder of the BRS15, Local Honey, has lots of experience with his both sailing and motoring.

A 15-20 is actually too much for a rockered bottom like the BRS if you "open it up". The bow will just rise and the boat will "squat" Graham and Alan can recommend the best motor for your boat. A planing in a sail boat is not the same as planing in a powerboat.

That being said, I'm building the powerboat version of the BRS, which is the Jessy 15. It has a fully planing bottom. I'll be using a 20 on mine. My boat is also modified with a cabin for cruising. I've seen folks rig this type of hull for sailing. It is not very efficient as a sailor, but not as bad as you'd think. OK, Y'ALL, put down that big ROCK!

Chick,

I have wondered how the Bay River Runner would fare against the BRS in sailing. I think Graham only flattened out the BRS aft rocker on the BRR.  Heeled a bit with crew weight maybe a bit more forward, it might do very well.  Maybe the Jessy would do this as well. 

As for power, I ran both a 8hp and a 9.9hp on Loon at times.  The 8 seemed ideal and the 9.9 was OK.  Searching for a couple more MPH, I added a couple wedges to the transom which did gain the extra speed with 9.9 hp but it was easy to make the boat wet with too much wedge.

Hmmm too many choices. I don't want to hijack this thread, I'll start another one or email B&B when I get organized enough to think about ordering some plans. Who knows maybe by then there will be a BRR Mk2 to make the decision even more complicated. Although that photo of the BRS moving right along looks pretty good maybe I have been over-thinking this one... 

It's great to know there is a community out there willing to offer help, I feel pretty certain I'll need a lot of it