Laminated Beam Retrofit

DreadBiscuit

Hi All,

I have been looking around and could not find a solid answer....

How hard would it be to add the laminated beam to an existing short shot?  I have many tools, but if anyone has tried and would totally advise against it, then I won't try it; but it looks simple enough to cut the frames accordingly, add the new beam and re-lash it into place without too much hassle.  

More knee room would be awesome!

Problem is I had to change two frames,  I think it was just two, because I changed the deck shape too. So there is more than just replacing one frame.

While you might could just slap a laminated beam in place it is going to look really ugly and I see a lot of that in self designed boats in some forums I follow.  One thing I stress on is the boat has to have smooth lines and look good when finished or I refuse to put my name on it. Well.... at least I think they look good. :-)

Knee room is only an issue getting in and out. There are ways of getting in and out of much smaller boats. Just takes some practice to learn. You will look silly learning how and will go swimming, but it is skill everyone should have because it is very similar to getting back in, in deep water.  Learn  to sit on the back deck and balance the boat, you brace yourself with your paddle, insert legs and slide into the seat.