Gunwale alignment at the bow.

even-keeled

With all structure except the chine stringers in place and lashed, my next step is to secure the gunwales to the tip of the bow. Both gunwales protrude 3/16 above the bow as the photo shows. Would it be better to sand the gunwale tops flush with the bow or preload them into alignment? Does it matter? I'm inclined to sand the tops. 

I've checked the alignment of the frames and also confirmed that the deck stringer meets the bow top at the same angle. Also, pulling the gunwales flush at the bow while on the strong back raises the frame behind the bow frame about the same amount. Thanks, and pardon the clutter in the garage.

IMG_20180211_102714.jpg

I think I would not sand them off - but instead pull them down to be flush with the bow piece. That looks like a pretty small mismatch and I doubt if pulling them into position will effect the shape of the hull much at all once the frame is released from the supports. 

Another option would be to shim up the bow piece along the top edge to match the gunwales. That way the gunwales could stay in their natural shape. 

• Thanks 1