The Building of Old Codger

Chick Ludwig

I was about to work outside at the rental house, but the rain started as I walked out the door. No more to do inside today. What to do? Awww, guess I have to go work on Lost Cove. Tooooo bad.

Just enough time to pucky the frame tops to glue the berth top down. Oh, "pucky" is a highly technical term for applying poxy glue. The goop itself is called "hucky-puck". Well, maybe I'm borrowing a term from my Morgan Yacht employment time from almost 50 years ago. Back then, hucky-puck was made from mixing polyester resin with asbestos to make putty and glue to bond things together on the yachts. Also to fill the spaces in the keel cavity where the lead was cast in.

Here's a coupla pictures for ya.

First one is the trial fit of the berth top I told ya about a few posts ago. I forgot to post the pic then, so here it is. If you look closely, you may notice a cut glassed over right between  the first and second hatches. Someone, NO idea who, started cutting on the wrong line. Probably late at night when I was sleeping. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

DSCN3387.thumb.JPG.eda5091d651bf3112c783480626c3b64.JPG

This is the completed top puckied in place. How do ya like my fancy weights? I'll fillet and bond along the sides next time. It's air nailed at front and back, and around the foot well.

DSCN3389.thumb.JPG.f68860131fc8bcca386ea2cbdf71286b.JPG

• Like 1

Doggone! Ken, I hadn't thought of that! That also explains why my guard turtle is always hiding in the deepest corner of his pond. Turtles are really afraid of bears, ya know. And I'm always finding my tools lying around the shop, and not where I ALWAYS carefully put them away each time I use them...

It got to where my work area was so messy I had to move to another country just to get away from those tricksters.  It's just my luck that I'd end up in a place where there's no bears but there's still somebody making a mess out of the shed.  I think it may be the goannas, but magpies do have a sense of humor.

23 hours ago, Ken_Potts said:

It got to where my work area was so messy I had to move to another country just to get away from those tricksters.  It's just my luck that I'd end up in a place where there's no bears but there's still somebody making a mess out of the shed.  I think it may be the goannas, but magpies do have a sense of humor.

Drop bears are notorious tool movers. :)

Also, you guys should use my P.I.L.E. method: I know every tool I own is in THAT pile, right there...

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

Robert how do you know about drop bears?  We're not supposed to tell any outsiders about them in the fear it will kill the tourism industry.  In my case it's probably not drop bears, though, as they are mostly found in the eastern states.  Aargh! what I meant to say was "There are NO drop bears in Australia.  Please feel free to visit without fear.  Just don't stand under that gum tree...  Especially not at night."

We have a similar animal here in the states called a windigo.  They live in the tree tops, and only come down at night to prey on the unwary hiker or camper, especially children. They have been reported as recently being heard in the southern Appalachians. The name, windigo, was given to them by the indians for the call they make, "wiiin-diiii-gooooo"Fortunately, they don't swim, so we are safe sleeping aboard.

What-in-the-world-have-I-been-doing these last coupla weeks???? Well, getting rental house ready, working on stuff for Miss Debbie, organizing, meetings, and doing kid's activities at church, repairing the water heater in the camper that busted it's tank last winter---it froze and split it's tank, and, I don't know what all else.....

Then we gotta go camping for three days next week. In the rain. Gonna take the motor canoe and hunt for some turkles. There are some different varieties where we're going over on the Little Tennessee River.

Enough whining.

The berth top is glassed in and seams feathered. Today I began the fore deck framing. And that's it. So, check out the one lonely picture. Maybe I'll get this thing done in time for the BandB messabout. Maybe.

DSCN3403.thumb.JPG.0e709d43a4fffa741519670c77adf189.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

S-L-O-W-L-Y picking away at it! The inwales are installed from the cabin face forward. (Never mind, I'll explain later. Hint. I don't know what I'm gonna do in the cockpit yet.) Pictures will show the rest of the progress.

Good news! (I hope - I hope - I hope!!!!) Everything else in life is pretty well caught up. Outa be able to work on the boat next week! I hope.

You'll notice the refrigerator in the background. From the rental house. In the way. I WANT IT GONE!

Fore deck framing done.

DSCN3423.thumb.JPG.f26753ef4ce4b7efbac6a9bf544a7d23.JPG

Back side of fore deck poxied. There will be cutouts forward to drop the anchor rode through into the anchor rode locker.

DSCN3424.thumb.JPG.55bf59a21bfdb6c5829d15971d4de7f1.JPG

You may have noticed in my last post that the forward hatches in the berth top were in halves. Here they are glassed together. Didn't wanna waste the cutouts.

DSCN3425.thumb.JPG.b70c71bb74817b7565497d0cb7470ad3.JPG

Today's progress.

Foredeck and forward cabin face made and installed. Maybe you can see the marks for the access holes to the anchor rode locker. Maybe not. Also where the cabin face is marked and partially cut for the forward companionway. Well, maybe not actually a companionway, but it will work like one. It will provide ease of access for reaching dock lines and anchor tackle. The anchor will be on a sprit. Lookit all the cute little screw blocks to pull the edges down tight.

DSCN3426.thumb.JPG.cbaac04b918255a4ffcc6227ccb8d696.JPG

Back side of the forward cabin face.

DSCN3427.thumb.JPG.e8d30b99b5607e9699a7633800edc32a.JPG

Just to catch y'all up....

The fore deck is done, along with the bow sprit. I've begun the cockpit area with the transverse bulkheads under the seats and the bridge deck bulkhead. The pictures will explain it better.

Here's the deck and spit, the anchor will be carried on the sprit, with the anchor rode dropped through the openings you see, into the locker below. Dock lines will also be stored in the same locker.

DSCN3428.thumb.JPG.d64aec37b5e07af86562c4b69a9dd101.JPG

Still to be built is  the framing under the cockpit sole, and stiffeners in the bottom of the seat lockers.

The forward locker is for stowage accessible from the cabin, the center locker is through a hatch from the cockpit, the aft locker will be filled with flotation foam.

The center, under the bridge deck will be where the w/c hides.

You've probably figured out by now that I've "borrowed" heavily on how the Core Sound Mk-2 boats are organized. Hey, if it's good---copy it!

Yes, Vern. I know that I still have to glass tape over the fillets.

Now I think I'll go see if I can find some good ol' "Real Southern Sweet Tea" and relax for the evening.    Hey, maybe that would be a good name for the boat?!?....

DSCN3429.thumb.JPG.2cb926c08555b722e10fe58aa287981f.JPG

Here's results from this weekends diddling (noodling, futsing, fussing, messing, etc.) on the boat. It's taking FOREVER to get much done on this project. At least that dang refrigerator is GONE.  Steve and Amos thought I'd finish before them---HA! Oh well. As long as we're ready for the B&B messabout, all will be good. Except that I wanna go boat-boat NOW! Oh Lord, give me patience---and give it to me NOW! Maybe it would help to get off of this silly laptop and get out to the "garop". (For those of you that don't know, garop= garage-shop.)

Moving right along now. The bulkheads that were set in place last week are now taped in. Sunday's noodling produced a cute little pull-out drawer for my cookin' and eatin' utensils. The stove will store under the bridge deck with the porta-potti. YUCK, hope I don't get them mixed up...

DSCN3430.thumb.JPG.d1cef9df730b93e5e1ea172cb84f813c.JPG

It will lift all the way out to carry into the cockpit, or for access to stuff below it.

DSCN3431.thumb.JPG.2b23f099bb8366fc855d16b7f0e4232c.JPG

Hey, Slowpoke. :) You forgot the Trademark and Copyrights on Garop. Harhar.

By the way, there will be no patience for you. I got all three tied up over here, sweating. They never seen a case of antsy pants like mine, and even such powers as those are strained by my idiocy. Hahaha.

Wait? No! I cain’t do it! Please help me!

Well, if you’d hold still, so we could zap some patience into you...

Your boat looks awesome, Buddy. Just relax. It’ll all come together in due time. That’s how the plan works.

Peace,

More Slower At Building Boats Than You! :)

• Like 1

Hey, Tiger, we should have a "slow race". But, wait, ain't that an oxymoron? Or is that a big ox with a brain of a moron. Heck, I dunno. And I don't have the patience to figure it out. Now leave me alone so I can go back out a get---or not get---some stuff done on the dumb old boat...

WHEW!!!! I just got in from the garop where I slopped the first sealer coat of poxy in the cabin area, and under the cockpit seats, sole, etc. My poor old back was complaining the whole time leaning over the sheer to reach all those areas. Just wait 'til YOU get old. The older we get, the more we've earned the right to whine!

Last night saw the installation of the framing under the sole. Sure glad that's all done. Gonna be a lot more fun building the cockpit and cabin areas. Alan has graciously cut me out a couple of hatch kits, which are gonna be the next job to assemble. I sure love those kits. Saves cutting out lots of fiddly little pieces.

So on to the pictures. The first one is the poxied cabin.

DSCN3432.thumb.JPG.963965d172240cf9b81fc103edfb1f21.JPG

Next is of the under sole framing. The notches in the top edge of the frames are to clear the stringers that are poxied to the under side of the sole to stiffen it. It's only 6mm ply, so needs the support.  I can't show ya, it's not built yet.

DSCN3433.thumb.JPG.9d680822921b2ba85c4392485fa451f1.JPG