The Building of Old Codger

Chick Ludwig

I can set you up with a 240 VAC feed if you want when I get up there. It's pretty easy, assuming you have a panel handy to place a breaker in. Save up some 12/2 gauge and you'll likely just need a 20 amp breaker (of the type that fits your panel) An appropriate receptacle and a remodel box and that's about all you need.. 2 HP isn't much CFM (as you've found), though with a typical HVLP gun, if you have "capacity" by way of a big tank, you can get by on small projects. I had the same issue a few years ago and just bit the bullet and got a big 7 HP compressor and an 80 gallon tank. Not leaving well enough alone I found another 80 gallon tank, slaved them with a cooling line between and reworked the intake side to much better filtering and external feed, so it wasn't as loud. I also wrapped the tanks and enclosed the compressor, again to control noise. Not too bad now and the huge tankage, means it doesn't have to cycle very much during a spray job, especially with HVLP guns. 

For your 2 HP, consider the LVLP guns, which are available, though not as common. They use much less line volume, so you can get more, per cycle, but the patterns are smaller. I'm a pressure pot guy, but the gravity fed guns use less pressure too. 

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/Difference_between_hvlp_vs_Lvlp.html

I'll bet I can find enough room in your panel with a few "piggybacks". A sub is easy too.

One good way to get a big tank is to go to the natural gas dealer and pick up a 60, 100, 100 gallon tank. Many of these above ground tanks can't be certified anymore, so they sell them as junk or nearly so. New the smaller ones are rated at 200 PSI which is more than you need. They have a relief valve built it, but you'll wan to change this to what you compressor can take. Some welding at a local fabricator and a bigass tank. Most also have a petcock on the bottom too, for draining. My 80 gallon was a little rusty, but solid. Something about the piping or valves meant it couldn't be certified as a gas tank, so $50 later I had a big tank. I welded in two 3/4" bungs for a new 150 PSI relief valve and regulator tap. and a few 1/2" for crossover and cooling pipes.

A 5HP is nice and likely a 30 amp service, maybe more, depending on the motor. Two stage is also nice, but maybe a little over the top for a home setup. You can get by with a 3 HP, which is about 6 CFM and enough to run a HVLP gun. The tank size will govern how often it'll cycle, as you stand there waiting for it to catch up. A 4 HP is a good home owner compressor and can run most equipment except sanders. A 5 HP can run some sanders, but again it's the reserve capacity that makes the system work with air heavy needs (like sanders). My whole point with the new system was to run any sander, particularly my twin piston inline. This puppy needs lots of air (over 10 CFM+) continuous, so if the tank is small, it has to "time out" and catch up, which is a pain in the butt. A big tank can be mounted anywhere, a buddy couldn't find a place for his, so it's on the roof of his shop.

Wellll, thanks guys. Y'all forgot your glasses! BUFFING!!!! May it NEVER be! Ya gets whatcha see.

The "turnover crew" comes Thursday. Meanwhile, gotta install the bow eye and keel rubbing strip, and  reconfigure the cradle for the upright hull to be as LOW as you can GO....  (Y'all remember the Limbo stick, doncha?)

Thursday was the big day! We done flipped her. Thanks to Austin, Dalton, and Grandson Carter for the muscular help, and Miss Debbie for the camera work. Also for making a batch of cookies as payment. They work cheap.

HELP!!! I have a couple more pictures, but I get this message when I try to upload them: "You are only allowed to upload 16mb." What do I do to upload more? Is this for this post only? Or will I not  be able to ever upload more?  (I don't know what I did, but finally got them all to upload.)

DSCN3362.thumb.JPG.fade41bf5bac04ee17b6372278b47089.JPG

DSCN3363.thumb.JPG.8751cd719e1be021da3cc06bb8cf0664.JPGDSCN3364.thumb.JPG.0190c1da8e694f235e5fa6678523b5a7.JPG

DSCN3365.thumb.JPG.e3953f5377efc1de05897184edecdbce.JPG

Hi guys! Not much to show y'all. I'm in the process of building the frames to support the cabin berth and stiffen the hull bottom. Slow going. Each piece has to be measured and fit, then tabbed in. Then, with clamps and braces removed, filleted and taped, and cleats glued in.

Here's a couple of pictures to prove that I've done something. Oh yeah, I cut out the companionway opening.

DSCN3373.thumb.JPG.8c3be327b2cbcdb731fb8fc5b9b3f010.JPG

DSCN3374.thumb.JPG.838886f983fe1acbce7de634d7627a16.JPG

Amos, you're right. Kinda. i drink that 'ol Real Southern Sweet Tea when we go out to eat at Mac's Steak House, or some other eatery that has it. Miss Debbie makes it half and half. Sugar and Stevia. That doesn't qualify. As far as research goes, it mainly happens as I'm driving or sleeping. Or as I document it. It's amazing the ability of the brain to find the Real Facts during those times. As I head these stories. "The Truth, the Half Truth, or Nothing Like the Truth".

As for the boat building, it gets squose in between the other stuff that keeps coming up for an old retired duffer. Kinda like today. Miss Debbie wanted to take a pic-nic on a little road trip. That got stretched out to go check out some shops in Bat Cave and Chimney rock. Funny. No bats in bat cave, or chimneys to buy in Chimney Rock.  When I got home, I had to watch an old classic sci-fi movie to recuperate. 20 Million Mile to Earth. Then the grass called for it's hair cut. By then there was no time left for the boat.

Tomorrow is church in the morning, lunch out with Miss Debbie (A Sunday tradition), then back to church for a Children's committee meeting. Monday a visit all day with a friend from WAY back that we haven't seen for 35 years or so. She's in the area looking for a place to move to from Washington state. No need to go on. You get the idea.

I was able to get a whole lot more done back when I still worked. Hmmm, I wonder if I could get a government grant to study that phenomenon?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, between our 40th anniversary camping trips and doctor's appointment, I've gotten a bit more done. I think this finishes the bottom framing framing in the cabin area, pending approval by the "young master".

Good news from the doc. My family doc thought I had a torn rotator cuff. If so, I mighta had to have surgery to repair it and been unable to work for six weeks. As it turns out, it's bursitis caused by fraying of a tendon in my shoulder. Just part of old age. Like they say, "Getting old ain't for sissies!".

So, here are a coupla pictures.   #///***\\\\#*!!!!! Getting this message, "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

I'll try again. Now it's saying, " You are only allowed to upload 19.53mb."   I had this last problem awhile back, but it healed itself. Any ideas y'all????