cracked_ribs

Any interest in a Catspaw build? Also featuring rabbits.

The rabbits are coping without the boat but I did have to cheer them up by giving them the cardboard boxes all the hardware came in. They love cardboard boxes of all sizes so accepted the trade.

I had her out for a sail yesterday although it was more of a row and drift...really calm and barely enough wind to ripple the sea.  I am getting lots of pics but the internet is pretty flaky up here so I'll have better updates next week.

20180730_153036.jpg

Just back from a week at the island place.  Of course, Saturday I mostly just hauled gear to the cabin - no backpacks yet on the wife's collarbone so I had to carry 10 days' worth of supplies (about 240 beers + whatever the wife is going to drink, plus I think there was some food) up the steep path to my place.

Sunday I went looking for some timber.  Look straight enough?

14VHlGz.jpg

And so the axe-work begins.

K2p9XGW.jpg

This looks dangerous but I'm actually just skimming the axe along the surface, not swinging it.

VWdIMkG.jpg

Then scraping it with the edge:

EuSiJEy.jpg

If you're handy with an axe you can cut stuff pretty precisely.  Eventually I switched to a plane.

5czLrDC.jpg

Here you can see that I am basically dependent on cordless tools to do any real boatbuilding work at all.  Also careful observers will note that the sprit is nearly finished in this pic and that was the last piece to build.

qqeI69z.jpg

I think my expression about covers my combined sense of satisfaction and fatigue

MRdBJte.jpg

So off I went!

PRHB1Zv.jpg

nEiaWzG.jpg

yPTJ9Ui.jpg

She really moves.  Easy handling even with minimal wind.  Points fairly well into the wind, considering.  Absolutely HAULS downwind.  Rows like a dream.  Really happy she turned out as well as she did.  Never want to build in my apartment again.

LEVIdol.jpg

k9XSnIy.jpg

KId1vck.jpg

Wow, I really admire your work with the axe! I'd have to put a motor on the axe, though. Even with a lo-o-o-o-og extension cord from civilization out to the island. Anyway, she's looking great, and so is that look of satisfaction on your face. You deserve it. Have the bunnies been sailing yet?

Great pictures; nothing better than ax, knife, and plane work.  You would have made a great ship's carpenter in the 1800's British Navy.

11 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Wow, I really admire your work with the axe! I'd have to put a motor on the axe, though. Even with a lo-o-o-o-og extension cord from civilization out to the island. Anyway, she's looking great, and so is that look of satisfaction on your face. You deserve it. Have the bunnies been sailing yet?

Thanks! They don't seem much interested in the sailing life, although one of them hung out with me as I made the sail.  

11 hours ago, AmosSwogger said:

Great pictures; nothing better than ax, knife, and plane work.  You would have made a great ship's carpenter in the 1800's British Navy.

Thank you - I had that job on my mind a lot as I worked.  Those guys must have been true masters with a sharp edge.

Poor things... You really ought to build them a coffee table or something now that you've stolen their boat shelter. :)