cracked_ribs

Any interest in a Catspaw build? Also featuring rabbits.

I love those nostalgic moments of boating history.  So many things you couldn't do today because some committee of henpeckers would demand a law.  There's sometimes a justification but so often it just deprives the world of a specific form of anarchic beauty...

One day I'll write down all the stories I remember from growing up poor in a coastal town, at a time when people were walking away from their homes and rowing boats because a dollar a gallon was too much money to fuel a ten horse Johnson, but the whole area wasn't overfished and almost everyone respected the limits and the size, so even if you were broke you could eat like a king and we ate salmon steaks, kelp greenling or ling cod most nights because catching them from a rowboat on homemade lures and cheap spinning gear was practically free.

We didn't have a high-speed beach launch option but there was a sheltered spot my dad would run the leaky old 12' Springbok into, then drag it up the gravel, stand it up and carry it on his back up past the breakwater to the street and load it onto the car, which was a '68 Volvo sedan.  The outboard would go in the trunk, and we'd drive up the street back to the house, which was about a block and a half away; it was just a little too far for him to carry the boat although I recall him doing it once or twice, while I dragged the motor and tackle in a wagon.

Beach launches and simple boats...not something I'll ever lose the love for, I don't think.

Please do write about growing up poor in a coastal town. Out boating and Cruising Stories forum hasn't had anything new in a long time.

If your making a mass just be sure to reinforce it with epoxy and string wrapped around or at least coat the outside in epoxy and mesh .  I built 2 that snapped because I didn't wrap them .  Heck I grew up in cb we used to search the shores after a heavy storm looking for lobster and scallop.    had to beat the seagulls.  We also fished salmon with a pitchfork in the shallows , knew every fish run by year and shot my first animal at 6.  Yup I know about growing up poor.  Couldn't imagine given a tike a firearm at 6 but when you get sick of eating porridge for 3 meals a day you learn fast!!  My first boat was ,3 pieces of Styrofoam binded together with masking tape and two homemade oars locked under my arms but... I pulled up eel traps with it. 

Unfortunately everything I do on the deck has a soundtrack set by my wife since she's closer to the stereo, so it's either some kind of weird techno music or Scandinavian punk rock.

Really getting down to the wire on this thing...hope to hoist it off the roof next weekend.

sOdNJKv.jpg

WR-LPU and drill-fill-drill.  Oarlock sockets on.  Clamcleat on the daggerboard trunk for a snotter; loop on the mast step for a shackle.  Box of love from Harken/Racelite arrived yesterday.  Most everything is getting mounted on the spars though so not much to do with the little toys yet.  Still waiting on pintle/gudgeon.  Drew up a plan for a tiller arm today; will laminate some stuff together tomorrow.

Still haven't decided about taking it down this weekend; was going to take it down but now I'm thinking I'll build wooden deck plates instead of using plastic ones so that'll take a bit of extra time.  Plus the closer it gets the more I want to touch up the paint more carefully.  Might wait and lift it down early next week instead.