Meet Belhaven 19 - Clementine

Randy Jones

b5a67ddb3b7883_ClementineHoodCanal.jpg.3d76183ace54d32c616d71ff6260b6d2.jpg5a67de41e4487_clementineratisland.thumb.jpg.52cb5a119a3fb9a4262da55b472faa26.jpg

Hello all,

I thought it might be time to share the modifications to Belhaven 19 hull #3 that I purchased a few years ago.  Yellow is the "before" photo (credit to Doryman,  dory-man.blogspot.com) taken a few years ago at Hood Canal WA.  The green photo (credit to Marty Loken, www.pocketyachters.com) was New Year's day 2018 at Rat Island near Port Townsend Washington.

The name Clementine is a holdover from the yellow color and I'm sticking with it.

Other than the obvious difference in paint color, you'll notice the cabin top is higher.  Original cabin top was removed, front and sides scarfed and extended up about 4 inches.  Cabin roof was replaced with a three layer 4mm plywood lamination without ceiling beams.  The standard forward hatch was omitted to maximize the sliding hatch length.  The result is full sitting head room inside the cabin and a comfortable spot to stand with the hatch open.   It doesn't appear to have affected the boat's center of gravity or trim, but I admit that the extra height doesn't help the looks.

I'm still messing with completing the control lines, interior paint, and wiring.  Once I run out of projects I intend to replace the windows with oval framed fixed lights similar to the CS series in an attempt to pretty up the taller cabin.  I may also paint a "hat" on the cabin top as a trick to bring the height down a little.

I'm still in love with the boat and can't imagine a more comfortable 19 foot trailer sailor for tall people.

Questions welcome.

Build more Belhavens

• Like 1

It looks like a handy little boat, and the background suggests a lovely place to sail her. Yes, oval and slightly larger ports, and possibly a timber strake along the top edge of the cabin might break the apparent height relative to the size of the boat.

Here are some pictures that I took of Clementine while I was at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. I thought that Randy and Lynn had raised the cabin as tastefully as they could but the enhancements mentioned above would improve her.

Having sailed her with her two previous owners, it was good to see her again. Sorry Scott but I like the new color. 

BHC1.jpg

BHC2.jpg

BHC3.jpg

Randy you really worried me when you told me what you had planned! But she looks really:) Nice!:)   Like that you also redone the cockpit locker lids like Graham designed them. I hated the ones I did almost from the start. So glad you are using and caring for her, I spent a lot of time and miles with this little boat. There's not a week that goes by that I don't think about building another.

You did a good job of the modifications, but I still like ;)yellow.:rolleyes:

Scott

Thanks everyone. This has got to be the friendliest place on the internet.  I certainly took some risk messing with a great design and a carefully built boat.  Here's a couple photos of the new lid going on, in the shop at the NW Maritime Center in Port Townsend WA.   105.thumb.jpg.e5f8ff9e68b8894d31d7fd028a34f2c6.jpg   117.thumb.jpg.217128aa3f0abc4b2c5775b348474eb2.jpg

and another from the deck of the ferry.

127.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, Scott Dunsworth said:

Randy you really worried me when you told me what you had planned! But she looks really:) Nice!:)   Like that you also redone the cockpit locker lids like Graham designed them. I hated the ones I did almost from the start. So glad you are using and caring for her, I spent a lot of time and miles with this little boat. There's not a week that goes by that I don't think about building another.

You did a good job of the modifications, but I still like ;)yellow.:rolleyes:

Scott

When you go to bed at night and close your eyes, just think about the boat being a "Mellow Yellow" now. B) I really don't mind the added height to the cabin. And the wood and color really compliments each other.  And that shop looks like a great place to  have done the project, with all that room.

Scott,

I replaced the starboard side cockpit hatch with the standard design and it works beautifully to keep things dry.  I intended to replace the port side hatches but ran out of time, so I went with a manufactured hatches instead. 

All along I had assumed the gaskets on the hatches were leaking but upon removal found that the sealant between the hatch and deck had hardened and the sealant to deck bond completely failed.  The result was this tiny crack that sucked rainwater into the compartment.  Replacement hatches with fresh sealant is working ok but I'll convert the hatches when I run out of  projects.  

Regarding paint, I kinda borrowed the color scheme from the photo below of a Thunderbird which is a Pacific NW one design with hard chine plywood construction in common with a Belhaven19.  The brighter green could not get Spousal approval so I went with the darker Martha Green.

Image result for thunderbird sailboat