"Flooring" for Ravenswood

woodmike

I'm just starting my Ravenswood and have a question about 'Flooring'. I'm a bit concerned about my heels (or rather the heels of my watershoes) wearing on the fabric in the area of the foot-pegs. 

There is solid wood flooring under my butt, then looks like bare fabric where only 'lunch, etc' then a frame and bare fabric where my feet might wear the fabric.   

I'm thinking of putting some kind of removable light plastic.  What does everyone else do?  Or am I overthinking a problem that doesn't really exist.?

Woodmike:

Overthinking. While I note a little bit of fabric stretch in the heel areas on my Ravenswood, there is no sign of wear. The boat is covered with the "old" 8-ounce Dacron, which, according to Jeff, is actually 6 ounce.

Your mention of watershoes also prompted a thought on safety. Make sure your paddling footwear has no laces or loops that could get hung up on footpegs or other internal bits during a wet exit.

Fair winds, Andy 

13 hours ago, woodmike said:

I'm thinking of putting some kind of removable light plastic.  What does everyone else do?  Or am I overthinking a problem that doesn't really exist.?

You are overthinking it, but I get this a lot.  Think about this, if your feet can wear a hole in the fabric then the boat wouldn't be safe to take out on water. 

Jeff: Just because he's been convinced it's safe, doesn't mean he won't feel better with a little reinforcement for the fabric.

He might feel better if he gets a sleeping bag pad or other closed cell foam and cutting out a couple of strips to glue to the fabric under his heels.