Skin, how tight?

tomstaplez

Stonefly build coming along nicely. Just skinned with the six oz premium. 

I've never paddled a sof boat, nor have I ever seen one. I can't seem to find a simple answer or 'test' on whether or not the skin is tight enough. 

Any tips? I've read about quarter bouncing but please digress. 

Thanks! 

Tom

Tom

I built 3 Kudzu SOF Kayaks  a Vardo a Firefly and a Long Shot, I made the skins as tight as I could, I would say, make it tight but do not warp anything. I managed to warp some of the stringers on the  first one and learned how far I could go after that. I sewed them  tight and then I used a hair drier to take out any wrinkles that were left. Do not make a loud drum just a weak drum sound?

When I skinned my Stonefly I used a pair of canvas pliers and a block of scrap wood to protect the gunwales.  So I cranked it pretty tight but I also used the heavier poly, not sure if that will make much difference.  

Pull it hand tight, fold it over and use the pliers for that extra 1/2" of stretch then staple away.  

• 1 month later...

While we're on this topic, I have a question about loosening fabric. I built my Short Shot last February to April and thought the skin (8 oz) turned out well. I got out and paddled her a few times during the summer and then put it away in the basement when it turned cold.........since I don't have a need for hunting baby seals.

Now the skin seems to be relaxing. When the weather warms up again, will setting the kayak out in the sunshine fix the problem, or will I need to use a heat gun on it? 

20180213_204351.jpg

In the industry this is called 'creep' or 'creeping'.  It it the tendency of the fabric to relax after being heat shrunk. This is why I suggest sewing the fabric on tight over heat shrinking. I have seen it happen and the simplest cure it just paddle the boat and not worry about it.