Mayfly Canoe now available

Kudzu

Mayfly-2.jpg

Been working on this design for a while. It is a expedition canoe, two man, 17'-6" long and with a capacity of 400 lbs. Moderate rocker and a little tumble home in the gunwales. I studied well known expedition canoes and modeled it after them.

My original plan was to build one, do a video series as I built it and replace some of the older videos. But I don't canoe and I really need to get my Chris Craft finished so I decided to just release the plans. They are available in the store.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been eye-balling the Tangerine for a winter/spring project, but see that it is gone from the Kudzu website.  Does the Mayfly supersede the design?  Performance difference?  Lessons learned?  Any info contrasting the two designs would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

I dropped Tangerine because the two would have been very similar and this is a better design. Similar in size but this is a proper expedition style canoe and will be a better paddling canoe.  I was never happy with Tangerine but it took me a long time to get around to working on it's replacement.

• 1 month later...

I am sure it could be done but I don't support changes or offer any help.  When you start changing the boats design funny things can happen and since I have no control over it I just can't encourage it or take any responsibility. 

Keep in mind, as it is you sit pretty high in the boat, I think a double blade would clear easily.

• 2 months later...