Spindrift 11n build in process

Tirooriroo

I have only occasional success, attaching photos to this forum.  I will keep trying!  My boat is a Bay River Skiff.  The details will be different on your boat, but the concept is the same.  I got the PEX from Lowe's.  It is a piece of tubing used to connect a bathroom faucet to the house plumbing.  I removed the end flange.  It was all smushed into place with thickened epoxy, of course.  Finally, it allowed me to attach it.

Rudder4sm.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrillsbe said:

I have only occasional success, attaching photos to this forum.  I will keep trying!  My boat is a Bay River Skiff.  The details will be different on your boat, but the concept is the same.  I got the PEX from Lowe's.  It is a piece of tubing used to connect a bathroom faucet to the house plumbing.  I removed the end flange.  It was all smushed into place with thickened epoxy, of course.  Finally, it allowed me to attach it.

Rudder4sm.jpg

Nice job. 

• 4 weeks later...

She is looking good. The only thing that I can see that might be a problem is the mast collar. I specify gluing layers of ply together rather solid wood because of the likelyhood  that it will crack across the short grain at the mast hole. All is not lost because the top will be covered by the ply deck. I would put another layer of ply under the mast collar aft of the bulkhead and call it good.

Before you cut the foredeck it might help you to know why the aft edge is shaped the way it is. The shape prevents the painter from fouling around the mast collar. It can be annoying when every time you grab the painter from the bottom of the boat near the bow and it is wrapped around the mast collar.

On 3/7/2018 at 5:24 PM, Designer said:

She is looking good. The only thing that I can see that might be a problem is the mast collar. I specify gluing layers of ply together rather solid wood because of the likelyhood  that it will crack across the short grain at the mast hole. All is not lost because the top will be covered by the ply deck. I would put another layer of ply under the mast collar aft of the bulkhead and call it good.

Before you cut the foredeck it might help you to know why the aft edge is shaped the way it is. The shape prevents the painter from fouling around the mast collar. It can be annoying when every time you grab the painter from the bottom of the boat near the bow and it is wrapped around the mast collar.

Ok, Iam not sure it is specified somewhere in the plans that I have or in the instructions but I think it is going to be ok the way you say. Thank for the good word and the help.

15 hours ago, Designer said:

5aa164907aded_Spindriftmastcollar.thumb.jpg.2c694570086833b1d884e098e5d73dc9.jpg

Unfortunately there are differences between the plan you uploaded and the metric one I have. 

5aa24446b2b18_ScreenShot2018-03-09at10_20_48.thumb.png.40637448432c9df064e62fa93de8f3c9.png

As you can see there is a reference to the foredeck frame built from plywood but only  in the kit version (KIT ONLY) it says.

On the other hand, on the top right corner my plans describe that the foredeck cleats made from 1x2 stock.

As it seems to me till now that the metric plans that I have in my hands, have some little differences to the original plans because of the transcription probably, do you mind if you send me again the plans in Imperial measurements (and I'll do the conversions) just to be sure that I am going the right way?

Thank you for your help.

This one is on me.

When I updated the Spindrift 11 N Kit, I totally re-did the plan sheets and I see that I showed what would correctly be interpreted as solid timber on the king plank/mast partner piece. As Graham pointed out, he intended this to be plywood to avoid the possibility of a crack forming which makes good sense. Adding a layer of 1/4" ply underneath the aft part of the mast collar piece will accomplish the same result.

I will update that part of the construction plan sheet to reflect that this piece should be 3 layers of 6mm ply as originally intended. The side cleats and forward bulkhead beam are still solid timber.

I re-combed through the plans and you should rest assured that the "original" plans that Graham posted the top corner of for clarification don't show any other better or different information than what you have. The boat changed shape ever so slightly when we 3D modeled all of the parts in minute detail in order to achieve a high level of accuracy for producing the kit version. We then used that shape to re-update the cutout sheet for the boat which is built from plans so that all S11 hulls going forward would be the same (kit or plan). 

Finally, I think your build is very excellent and it looks to me as though you have produced a very fair and accurate hull from the plans which is very gratifying to us. I can't wait to see picture of her sailing around. 

3 hours ago, Alan Stewart said:

This one is on me.

When I updated the Spindrift 11 N Kit, I totally re-did the plan sheets and I see that I showed what would correctly be interpreted as solid timber on the king plank/mast partner piece. As Graham pointed out, he intended this to be plywood to avoid the possibility of a crack forming which makes good sense. Adding a layer of 1/4" ply underneath the aft part of the mast collar piece will accomplish the same result.

I will update that part of the construction plan sheet to reflect that this piece should be 3 layers of 6mm ply as originally intended. The side cleats and forward bulkhead beam are still solid timber.

I re-combed through the plans and you should rest assured that the "original" plans that Graham posted the top corner of for clarification don't show any other better or different information than what you have. The boat changed shape ever so slightly when we 3D modeled all of the parts in minute detail in order to achieve a high level of accuracy for producing the kit version. We then used that shape to re-update the cutout sheet for the boat which is built from plans so that all S11 hulls going forward would be the same (kit or plan). 

Finally, I think your build is very excellent and it looks to me as though you have produced a very fair and accurate hull from the plans which is very gratifying to us. I can't wait to see picture of her sailing around. 

Thank you Alan, you have been very helpful. I was very cautious building the boat and even though little mistakes happened here and there, the plans are good to lead in a really good outcome. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...