Spindrift 10 build

Stareed

Walt,

I read your full tread and I did not realize that you used Sapphire, from the picture it looks a little more "royal blue" and I thought the Sapphire was a bit more purple-blue (if thats a thing!) but I am and was looking at a computer screen as the source of color so who knows.. hahaa, yours looks great.  At this point I would settle for dodo brown as long as its finished! 

Thanks 

Hulsey

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had a pretty good time off this hitch, got some work done on the boat. I followed PAR's advice and used some solvent and removed most of my daughters oil treatment from the little fordeck piece and epoxy coated it with no issue, could not even tell it happened after covering it in the ol' goo. Spent the first week home epoxy coating everything the required three coats which took some time. While I was coating the parts in the garage I moved the boat outside and started fairing the hull, its amazing to me that "flat" plywood could need much fairing, but with all the wire's and gunnels ect. I guess little puckers and hollows develop which surely showed up when I put the fairing compound and longboard to it. Wife kept asking why I was sanding and sanding something which she deamed smooth, I tried to explain the difference between smooth and fair but was unsuccessful. My neighbor is a sheet metal car restoration guy of very fine and rare old cars, I had him come over and inspect my work, and after rubbing it all down with his eyes closed, it was announced that I had done an incredible job ( his words, very proud of that comment) for a first timer. I then temperately installed the seat tops and the fordeck  with finish nails and ran a round over bit around the edges to ease them, after which I glued it all up with no problem. I wanted a nice look on the inside so I taped of the seams on the seat top and fordeck and made a 1 1/4 radius fillet tool and tried to make a nice fillet for appearance, also ran it around the center board trunk where it meets the deck. Some more filling of little holes and spots and sanding and pretty close on the interior. I made the tiller out of cherry and attached it to the rudder cheeks. At this point "all" that remains is to paint and rig it up and throw it in the water. 

At the beginning of this thread I mentioned that my kids really had no interest in this project, but guess what..... my son requested that we sign him up for sailing camp this summer so that he could learn to sail "his" boat, made me pretty damn happy when I heard that!

So, when I get back to land this time on May 10th -

1. final fair of interior

2. drill out everything for hardware

3. Paint

4. install hardware

5. Make oars

6. Order Sail

7. Done! 

8. Build next boat! 

4.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

I started this project one year ago, but to be fair I was only home 6 months which also encompassed family time, running a business, and taking care of the house, so not that bad in my estimation. Man have I learned a lot! and the I have the fever pretty bad at this point, this little boat was a test of my ability and desire to build boats. I had no idea how bad it would be, its bad though... I would go as far as saying obsession, building a boat brought together all of my wants in one package, I love wood working and boats - what a perfect marriage ( that will make your actual one more interesting hahahah). Wife asked me "what are you going to DO when you finish, your going to be lost" to which I replied "already have the plans in my closet for the next one!" she went from a joking mood quickly to a "oh hell no look"  what do they say....begging forgiveness is easier than asking permission- that must have been a married man who coined that one!  

Grasshopper, you've come such a long way so far, enough that the old auto body guy, noticed your fairing is good (congratulations), but you have much to learn about coping with the one that must be obeyed. First off; a new vacuum cleaner isn't a good birthday present for the other half, no matter what kind of deal you found on Amazon. I mention this, because a buddy of mine did just this last year, with his lady and still shows the scars of this obvious blunder.

Look, sometimes you'll need to "borrow" a tool or device from the kitchen. The first rule is never assume they're not going to hear you lifting it out of the cabinet, she so neatly tucked it into and second, the best advise is to wait and do the deed when they're not home. Additionally, in spite of your best attempts to convince her that the polyurethane pellets you poured through her spaghetti strainer are so inert you can eat them, you'll have to replace the spaghetti strainer. I know this because I actually ate a small handful of the offending pellets, just to prove the point, which I seriously regretted the following morning, during my daily ritual. Simply, you steal it or you can say you borrowed it, but this will imply you've been caught, which isn't good. If you need a tool, yep, steal money from the kids collage savings, but not a word, just get the tool. Next month or so, casually mention the small windfall you had at an after hours poker game or found in the parking lot when leaving the local Wal-Mart after getting some milk, which you obediently deposited into the kids collage account.

Boat builders have to be, by their very nature, inventive, creative, often innovative, just to get the darn boat finished, let alone survive to build another. This means some lying, obscuring and bending of reality and the true may be in order, so you can enjoy the freedoms, you've worked so hard to wallow about in. Show your inner boat builder skills and make us proud . . .

PAR,  so far to date I have "ruined" a kitchen scale ( I put it in a gallon ziploc to prevent epoxy I was mixing from contacting it) still ruined as it was removed from the kitchen - had to buy a new one, a mini food processor I used for making wood flour - ruined, had to buy her a new one, all the kids crafting sticks (tongue depresser and popcile sticks for mixing and epoxy) - had to buy new, all of her pastry bags for filleting - had to spend a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond with her to buy her and myself a new supply along with other useless female stuff...heavy price. New door knob for the pantry - I had epoxy on my hand and need the vinegar for christ sakes! got thickened epoxy on it and didnt notice- she did- now have my own jug in the garage, and a new door knob on the pantry. Saran wrap and wax paper - I now have my own. The side yard, apparently it is not a boatyard? She and I have different use allocations for spaces " F#cking half million dollar house and it looks like a damn boatyard" 

Oh I gottcha on the vacuum,  I once many years ago heard for a year about how she wanted a fancy Kitchen aide mixer, the 600 dollar one- Merry Christmas, she really wanted it, it was expensive- great idea.....no the hell it was not! Been married 18 years, still act like a dumbass- which I was recently called in a non-joking manner, but at this point I cant quit and she cant fire me! 

Yeah, most of my friends are like you. Hell, I learn hard too and have replace a lot more kitchen appliances than you as well, but I do eventually learn. It may just be muscle memory. Look, you don't actually have to learn, but a good idea is the "faux appropriate response reflex", which I have attempted to master in recent years. Well, what the hell does this mean. Simply, instead of seeing a hotass chick on TV and saying that's "screaming" (as your voice tails off because you've realized, you'd screwed the pooch again), you instead reply "isn't that a lovely looking young lady". It's all about changing your models and possibly catch phrases. Good luck . . .

PAR, you should write a book. You seem to have pretty much become Master of Marital Understanding. I, on the other hand, have just celebrated my 40th. anniversary----hey, wait, even messed up here. It's OUR 40th anniversary. Anyway, I still continue to mess up on an almost daily basis. I thank God that he gave me a VERY understanding and mild mannered wife that forgives me every time. The Bible says to "...forgive 70 times 7 times." Heck, I've passed that number a long time ago! In studying "Bible-speak", I've learned that it really means an unlimited number of times. I'm probably stretching the meaning of "unlimited" by now.

Stareed, I can't wait to see you build a CS-20, Mk-3 in the house!

" Stareed, I can't wait to see you build a CS-20, Mk-3 in the house! ". Yes, the basement is bad enough. Used the kitchen lobster pot to de-crystalize epoxy. I now have a pot for the shop and my wife has a nice new pot. Lesson learned.

Also, I bought my wife  a bread maker as a gift when they were all the rage with a note that said "You need to give me better ideas, because left to my own devices....." We stopped buying each other physical presents after that. Now it's concert tickets and the like.  But she brings it up occasionally as if I should be surprised I survived that mistake. 

But the guy in me still thinks "But its probably an awesome vacuum and who wouldn't want that!".

• Like 1

Chick, 

No CS20 MK3 for me, the next one will burn some of this stuff we look for deep under the seabed! I get to drill all these holes, might as well use it for fun to make up for the pain of getting it! 

You guys are the best! wish I could meet all of you. I dont think I have really gotten to much direct advise on the actual boat ( hopefully because you all approved of what I was doing) but have gotten parenting and marital advise which has been spot on. Sometimes you go looking for something and find things that you never knew you needed but are better off than your original intent in the end. 

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After sanding the first coat, shot the second. Now to fill and sand all the little pin holes and other little blemishes, longboard and sand it all over again, and spray it one more time with primer hopefully, then the Brightsides. Still working on the oars, got some sweet stainless oar locks at the world famous Sailers Exchange here in town for a smooth 40 bucks. 

IMG_1032.jpeg

IMG_1030.jpeg