Spindrift 10 build

Stareed

So....I got home last night and early this morning I was going to mark out the ply left over from the seat tops cut out to make the rudder, and apparently my 4 year old slung some 3and1 oil on that piece while I was away. At least I think it was 3-1 as the little can was right next to the plywood and it sure smells like the stuff. Trash now right? I dont think it would epoxy well now, it isnt completely covered but its sure got some on it.

IMG_4699.JPG.a63092357b0f2d9f88bed5a27b84a7f8.JPG

Here is the child improved oil finish to the ply I was talking about, lubed it up pretty good!

I decieded to just make my rudder out of laminated fir as I had some good looking stuff from a trim job I had done a while ago. I much prefer to plane/work solid wood where possible. it came out good I think, I followed the bevel lines very close, very satisfying running a plane. 

got the seat top finial cut and the boom laminated ready for shaping.

I ordered Interlux Brightsides in Sapphire Blue for the hull and Matterhorn White for the interior, Interlux Pre-Coat as primer. The water line will be Matterhorn white. See how it goes....still much to do!

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

I wish I had cut a better radius on the optional aft bulkhead, I regret it every time I look at it from this direction. Looks like Stewie's head from Family Guy

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 4:32 AM, Stareed said:

IMG_4703.JPG

I wish I had cut a better radius on the optional aft bulkhead, I regret it every time I look at it from this direction. Looks like Stewie's head from Family Guy

Stewie's head... that's funny.  Are you putting a hatch cover on it?  You'll notice it a lot less if/when you do, and it's painted.  My 17 has a flush fitting hatch in the same spot and it kind of disappears when painted and the hatch cover is there-

• 2 weeks later...

Welp..... life got in the way again!! aghhhh. Only got 17 days off this hitch, as I had to return early for my relief and out of the 17 days I worked 15 of them building fence and a pool cabana for my carpentry company I run in addition to my Merchant Marine job. I have the paint sitting in the garage ready, and fairing materials ready to go into epoxy. I plan on take my next time home OFF to finish this damn thing! Summer is a-coming and the kids are wondering if it will even float! I gotta finish up so I can build something else! All ready have it picked out, just gotta finish.......

Them Yanks dont understand, the struggle is real for us southerners when its cold! When you have to wear shoes and long pants, quality of life is just not what it should be! Cold weather is not fit for human consumption. 

But there's cold and dry like they've got up North and there's cold and wet like they've got down South.  I've driven through Minnesota and Wisconsin during what I would consider a middlin-bad North Carolina ice storm and was amazed at the carnage.  I've never seen so many cars in the ditch in my life (hundreds, actually hundreds).  I think those people all thought they were driving on snow and were surprised when their tires failed to grip at 60mph.

Cold in the south is 31 degrees (F) and raining - And I think that's more uncomfortable than 10 degrees (F) and snowing.  And I grew up in the Midwest.

Now that I've pontificated properly it's time for one of our Alaskan or Siberian friends to chime in and correct me on the true meaning of cold. :)

I've done a very exhaustive scientific study about this subject and have found that folks from the South have blood that has actually thinned out over time. In addition, there is a "cold gene" that is latent in northern folks, but is activated in warmer climates. In the majority of us, roughly 82.4813 percent of us, it switches on our cold receptors as we mature. In the majority of us, it becomes active at 26.328541 years of age. Of course this average reflects that the possible range of actuation is anywhere between birth and death. Once this occurs, the chance that the gene will ever switch off is 1 in 11,0125. These statistics are applicable to not only those born in the South, but for those moving to warmer states shortly after birth, but the longer one waits before moving, the less chance there is for this to occur.

The symptoms may include wearing a flannel shirt along with sweater or coat indoors when the heat is set at anywhere below 72 degrees, avoidance of outdoor activity at below 60 degrees, constant complaining that "isn't summer EVER gonna come", needing an electric blanket from September through April, and using a space heater in the bathroom for shower or bath year round. In many cases, sitting in a tub is avoided during colder months as we perceive that our upper bodies are cold, while the parts under the warm water are hot. In extreme cases, a bath or shower is totally avoided for weeks at a time.

It appears that in 79.113 percent of the time, a Southern person marries a mate of northern decent, or one who where the cold gene has not been activated. For some reason as yet to be explained by science, the activation is blocked in the northern spouse at the time of marriage. The result of this marital mismatch is a constant battle over control of the thermostat, not only in the home, but in the car, and the need for the southern partner to wrap up in an electric blanket, or at least two regular blankets, while the northern person constantly fights to throw off everything including the sheet. in extreme cases, couples need to sleep in separate beds, or at least on the extreme edges of a queen or king size bed. In the most extreme cases, separate rooms are even indicated. One room where the window is opened at night, and the other with auxiliary heat switched on during sleeping hours. Sometimes, in rare cases, this malady results in separation, or even divorce.

I hope this carefully prepared scientific report explains this phenomenon to y'all. I have only begun to scratch the surface as of yet. I'll be preparing my request for a government grant of $320,000 to pursue this subject in greater depth. Meanwhile, feel free to supply me any and all statistics and anecdotes that I can us in my study.

This is true! I married a Long Island girl and have to wear a hoodie sweatshirt in my house because the ac is set so low. She practically never leaves the house May through October while I will be outside all day, it’s hot as hell sometimes but doesn’t really bother me. 

This is true! I married a Long Island girl and have to wear a hoodie sweatshirt in my house because the ac is set so low. She practically never leaves the house May through October while I will be outside all day, it’s hot as hell sometimes but doesn’t really bother me. 

• Like 1