Sign in to follow this  
tfrei

water in CS17 mast

Hi.  I just took my CS17 out of the water up here in Minnesota.  I noticed that the mizzen mast had a fair amount of water in it.  What do you think is the best way to get all the water out?  My first thought was to just drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom wooden plug, drain out the water, and then plug it back up with  something.  What do you think?

Anyway, that's what I did.  Just drilled a whole into the bottom plug and all the water drained out. I'm not sure why I thought that was so complicated.

You said you would plug it back up with something- I wouldn't do that as the water will just re-accumulate. Best to have a permanent drain hole.

My 2c worth

Cheers

Peter HK

All masts ned a weep hole or two. Leave it open, so condensation can escape. Any enclosed space will cause condensation to collect inside it, so it needs to have an escape route.