Marissa # 63

Riggs

Hi guys and girls. Am new here so just wanted to say hello. I have recently finished building my wife and I's last home and workshop and now have found myself looking for another project. That being said i have purchased a set of drawings for Marissa and am very eagerly awaiting there arrival. Shop is for the fist time in it's short life clean and all is in order ( this is not acceptable in my mind ) so here is my first question :) Do any of you fine folk that have built the Marissa have the dimensions for the framework on the floor on which it is built as i would like to get that underway while i await the drawings, i did not purchase the kit and from what i can glean from all the fine builds i have seen, no CNC kit means frame to build upon. As can be seen from pic there is a big space that needs to be filled with a budding boat. 

DSCN1758.JPG

Welcome Riggs!  Your very first post has me stricken with shed envy.  I'll try not to let that cleanliness color my opinion of you. ;)

I also can't help with the frame dimensions - If you don't get a quick enough response here you should give B&B a call.  They're friendly people and would probably be quick to help.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Arh Thx guys you make me blush. I promise it does not always look like that. It normally looks like an sragend lumber and used beercan bomb went of. It is only clean as of now due to no project. This is what it looks like most of the time.

DSCN1450.JPG

DSCN1451.JPG

About the only improvement that I can see would be a Marissa under construction in that shop.

Because the Marissa backbone slots together there is no conventional building jig. She is built on a pair of saw horses. They are about 43" wide with the aft one 36 5/8" high and the forward one 35" high and are setup 100" apart.

All of this is not critical. I built hull #1 on a pair of 55 gallon drums with a pair 2 by's across the drums and a pair fore and aft to rest the cockpit sole on. The main deal is to pack the cockpit sole so that it is flat and pitches up 1 degree aft for drainage. Remember we are talking about the boat upside down which means that the cockpit will pitch down aft for drainage when turned upright.

The stem is extended down to the floor and fixed as well frame extensions. On a concrete floor like you have, I usually epoxy down some short lengths of 2 x 4 to screw the stem and frame extensions. It is not hard to grind off the epoxy and repaint the floor after the build.

Looking through the description of Marissa on B and B Yacht Designs, this looks like a power boat intended for people with a lot of common sense because of its low cost of ownership.  Out here, people like throwing $50k at a MasterCraft and another $50k on the truck to pull it.  Common sense is uncommon in the land of the fruits, nuts and flakes.  Do you guys sell many of these plans and kits?

2 hours ago, Walt S. said:

Looking through the description of Marissa on B and B Yacht Designs, this looks like a power boat intended for people with a lot of common sense because of its low cost of ownership.  Out here, people like throwing $50k at a MasterCraft and another $50k on the truck to pull it.  Common sense is uncommon in the land of the fruits, nuts and flakes.  Do you guys sell many of these plans and kits?

Mine is #63. Yes that is why i purchased it. I can build it in my shop, outfit it myself and when finished i can run it without having to take a second mortgage in adition to having the satisfaction of having built it myself. I did a lot of research and a similar glass boat outfitted the way i am planning would be at least 30k which i find obsurd

• Like 1

Welcome and good luck ! Very nice shop and clean work . Marissa has  very straightforward plans  , yet interesting to built and very pleasant to drive and enjoy even in some rough waters .

Looking forward to follow this build as this brings me memories of my marissa build plan #50 , back 3 years ago ! 

The Tyvek stops any thing bonding to the floor as i have not sealed it yet. Probly never will either :) Thx for the compliments also. Lotus your Marissa build is what tipped the scale for me , you did a bangup job sir. I have a lot of time on my hands at the minite so it should progress in a timely fashion

• Like 1

Friday went well i think. Did a little dry fitting. On another note the Epoxy and Matt ETC landed as promised so i have no excuse :)

I do seem to have cocked up bulkhead #2 but i am not stressed as i like a little reveal. So far it is all going well and i am starting to see the thought that has gone into this from the crew at B+B.

DSCN1787.JPG

DSCN1788.JPG

DSCN1789.JPG

DSCN1790.JPG

DSCN1791.JPG

On 8/18/2017 at 10:17 AM, Riggs said:

Jay

I lived on Nevis in the Carribean for about 5 years with my wife. The Carib Sign came from the brewery on St Kitts

Gotcha.  My wife is from Trinidad where Carib is headquartered.  I can spot that logo a mile away.  By far my favorite lager...but I will admit that I'm not much of a beer drinker anyway.carib-img3.jpg

• Like 1