Sign in to follow this  
ShamblingBunyip

North Queensland Curlew

I finished rigging my boat this morning and took her down to the Ross River in Townsville.launch3.thumb.png.58757b56ac4edbd40172f56e5d9ec257.png

She paddles well.  I couldn't remove the grin from my face!

launch4.thumb.png.3bd7e0bfda5275dfb56d3a9f14c752a2.pnglaunch5.thumb.png.f2d4bda1535494477500e3aca30555fc.png

Final mass 17kg.  Frame: marine ply. Stringers: Queensland Maple.  Finish: marine varnish. 

• Like 1

When I got back from paddling and started packing up this bloke came up the river paddling a sea kayak with a hand made Greenland paddle, he pulled up and started asking about my kayak which he recognised as a Kudzu craft.  Then his mates turned up:  they turned out to be the local Kayaking club and they invited me to join!

Well done bloke  - looks bloody good from here.

That appears to be a nice protected bit of water out there. Is it as safe as it looks?

1 hour ago, ShamblingBunyip said:

It is pretty good.  Cape Cleveland blocks the prevailing south -easterly and Magnetic Island is about 4km off shore to the east.

There is the odd salt water crock though.

What's the difference between an odd one and a normal one? :D

Hi SB,

Your kayak looks fantastic.

I am about to build a stonefly canoe and am wondering if I can get the fabric in Melbourne or elsewhere in Oz. Did you buy yours in Australia or from the kudzu store. Also what finish did you use.

Thanks

Tony