Crew complaints addressed - CS 17

Dnjost

I finally got around to addressing some of the crew complaints on my CS 17.  They complained about how the coaming was uncomfortable to sit on, and that it hurt when elbows banged against it.  So, the coaming is now cut flush from a point 13" at the front of the cockpit, to a point 8" before the stern of the cockpit.  Deflectors are being installed Port and Starboard at these points to help the drips make it off the deck to overboard.  Lines will run under these.  More photos coming.  

I would like to add hiking straps to the forward area, but can't figure out how to do this and still have the centreboard lines still operate well.  Anyone with photos, it would be appreciated.  I did find Dave's photos of the stern area with a strap.  This will be a nice addition, now the it is more tempting to hike.

20170709_155822.jpg

Maybe a little late but I added hiking seats to make the coaming less uncomfortable. Also I added another thickness of 1/4 ply to the outside of the coaming so it ended up 1/2 inch thick which allowed a larger radius to make it less sharp on elbows etc.

Cheers

Peter HK

tn_Hiking seats.JPG

P9100051.JPG

Thanks,  I did consider the flat seat option, but opted for this solution.  The double layer of coaming material would have helped.  Too late.  

I may still add another layer of 1/4" to build up the deck a bit, as it seems that is where we wind up sitting most of the time.  I will sail with it this season, then modify later.  Adding forward row station is next, which will involve moving all the cleats.  

Yesterday, we motored out on a nearby lake to pick blueberries off the islands.  My elbows appreciate the modifications.  FYI - 6.5 kts with the 4hp Tohatsu at both full throttle, and half throttle.   Interesting.