Ideas for floating dock for dinghy storage?

Rdubs

Hi everyone

Nearing completion of my Spindrift 10N.  The slip where I keep my boat does not have a "build-out" where I can store the boat, and I don't want to store it on the boat's deck.  So the best solution seems to be obtaining or building a floating dock / storage barge which I could keep the dinghy on.  The plan would be to tow the dinghy behind the boat (I am on a lake).  It would be neat to have a dock that would make it easy to get the boat into and out of the water, so was thinking about maybe putting some carpet on it and maybe a fender at the front which would roll, but those are refinements.

I did some research and doesn't look too hard to build a basic one, but thought would reach out here to see if there are any ideas forum members have seen to improve upon a basic design.  I looked into buying one but any decent-sized one available seemed to be a few to several hundred dollars.  There is a fellow near me who is selling 19"x12"x12" styrofoam blocks for $1 each, I'd need about 20 to do a 4'x8' surface, so when you add in the ability to customize the design for neat ideas it may be worth it to try and build one.

00000_50QeF62WFxC_1200x900.jpg

Thanks,

'Dubs

PS I know I have a nesting dinghy which would open the door to just storing it nested and needing half the storage float size, but to be faster getting in and going out I may just want to leave the dinghy in the assembled state.

I've built a few of these-  I'd build a 2x10 frame the size you want, with couple of cross pieces, spaced so the blocks fit inside the frame.  I'd hold the blocks in with some lawn chair webbing.   I'd deck it with pressure treated decking.  I'd mount a few cleats for convenience, and on the side you want to pull the boat up, I'd either make a roller out of pvc pipe, or even more simply, get some of the angle dock trim that is made out of white rubber.  Use the white or it will leave ugly marks on the hull.  Carpet is your choice, but I would leave it off so it does not hold moisture against the wood.  If you want to get really fancy, a couple of custom fitted chocks for the boat would be elegant.  Good luck!