Deck Loop Installation, and Skid Plates

Finally painted my Vardo, except for some purely decorative stuff to come later, and I'm all but ready for a test paddle. However, I'd first like to install some deck lines.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the appropriate size hardware.  I'm planning to use 3/8 inch deck eyes, and to run 1/4 inch bungee through them. Drill pilot holes into the top edge of the gunnels, drizzle some silicon in then attach the deck eyes with 1/2 inch x #6 wood screws? #4s? I don't want to risk hurting my gunnels.  How have others proceeded?

Also thinking about installing a section of pvc pipe (two lengthwise parallel cuts to get a section of pipe) along my keel to protect my skin from abuse while launching. Have others taken this step, or it's not really necessary?

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping for launch pictures next week. 

I recommend rub strips, but you don't have to have them. Just don't beach the boat everytime you get in and out. I typically pull up parallel to the bank and get out (and in). If you are going to beach the boat you need something. I like the bronze strips myself, they are bullet proof. I ran out a while ago but with spring here I need to stock up on them.

Todd, I don't claim this is the best way but this is how I did my deck bungy fit.

Made loops from webbing - cut a length, folded and then melted a hole through. Used an old soldering gun for both cutting and making the hole. Best to use polypropylene rather than nylon - uncoated nylon usually has less resistance to UV light.

59464e2b1da5b_Webbingloops-cropped640x480.thumb.jpg.3307ce188df9b54c67ecdb681d955819.jpg

Screwed loops to side of gunwales - not the top. Two reasons for this: 1) side is wider than top so less likely to split the timber due to being too close to the edge, 2) I believe there is a slight mechanical advantage with the loop going around the edge of the gunwale.

Either use a wide headed stainless screw or a stainless screw and washer.

59464f075418e_IMG_6099Cropped640x480.jpg.f18ef1c6c4c13bbd34d11edd88a56b82.jpg

Bungy installed:

59464f375492f_Bungythruloops640x480.jpg.183ea3b8ef1c8512e37f6368b7914b14.jpg

• Like 3