Palmer engine

Kudzu

I did a little searching to learn something about these. Cleaning out my father in laws shop I was surprised to find a rather complete Palmer engine and transmission. I know nothing about the condition and as long as it has been sitting I would expect it was locked up now. I tired it by hand and couldn't budge the flywheel. No idea what it came out of or how he got it. Odds are it was being replaced for some reason and was given to him. So I assume it had problems.

Question is, is there any value there? If nothing else it is an excellent for parting out. May be rebuildable and it could be total trash. Obvious no way to know with a tear down.

Not sure. I didn't see any identifying marks but wasn't sure what to look for. 4 cyl flathead but I think maybe they all were?

Around here there is little if any demand for an old boat engine. I don't want to just sell it for scrap if someone had need of it. I though about bringing it to my shop and getting it running but what would I do with it then? Plus I have my hands full with other projects and last thing I need is it taking up space.

That looks to be a P-60 or maybe a M-60. These were used in just about everything from farm tractors to stationary engines (wells, generators, etc.) Including boats. These were about 25 - 30 HP engines.

DSC02914.jpg

Parts are still available and lots of folks are looking for original parts to restore their own.