My Upstate NY Short Shot (Finally)

So I will begin with the end product (well about 90% finished) and then tell the story/build history of this wonderful boat!  

First things first though; thanks to everyone here who indirectly answered questions about this build by posting your own builds, and especially thanks to Jeff for the designs!  

I have not named this boat, but it is a Short Shot coming in at 16' 7" total length with the premium 6oz polyester coated with Rustoleum oil-based paint in blue and silver.  I actually finished it in early August of last year (2016) as my goal was to have it ready for an annual paddle trip with the local boy scout troop I volunteer with.  I did two, 3-4 mile paddles a few days before the 4 day and 50+ mile trip across all of the Saranac Lakes in the Adirondack State Park.  It handled beautifully, and has zero leaks since day one!  

Without further ado, here she is in her current glory (well a year ago, after fresh paint).  I began to paint silver scales down the length of the bottom, but ran out of time before the big paddle trip.  I plan to finish them this year now that it's getting warm again and also do blue scales down the top on the silver base.  

This image was taken after I moved from the apartment into a house with a garage.  I got the frame built and skinned before the move and then painted it at the new place.  You will see all of this in later posts.  BTW, I have tons of pictures.  If anyone wants to see anything in particular, just ask and I can upload any others I have or even go take more pictures.  

20160803_085525.jpg

Edited by DreadBiscuit
  • Like 1

Beginning in March of 2016 I started cutting cedar into stringers.  NOTE: I built this in my townhouse apartment while pursuing my Master's Degree and working part time.  It became a late night unwinding project.  I had a roommate that helped with a lot of it which helped tremendously!  I would not want to build one of these solo without a lot more tools and a shop!  

20160320_121550.jpg

Next was scarfing all the stringers into 18 ft sections.  Then I glued the plans onto the 1/2" baltic birch.  

20160320_191051.jpg

20160320_191104.jpg

20160323_131432.jpg

as you can see, the plan with this boat was to cut the coamings out of the plywood as well.  I would love to build another boat and do laminated coamings on it.  

Here we have the coaming being clamped together while the glue dries, me routing some frame pieces after cutting them out, and finally the strongback together with the keel placed into the alignment frames.  She's coming along quickly now!  For reference, this was around May 2016, so approximately two months after first cutting material.  She took up my entire dining room and stuck out over the couch in the living room (behind the lens in the last picture).  There was enough room to walk around the boat to get into the kitchen, but it was a conscience effort not to bump the strongback while stringers and frames were being placed.  

20160403_165440.jpg

20160507_163537.jpg

20160612_141842.jpg

First lashing done!  OOps, it's on the wrong side...this ended up happening a few times throughout the boat, but so far no one has noticed but me! ;)  Pictures follow of the first frame lashed up, and then the bow lashed up (which was a long time in the future after the first frame...really time traveling now!)  We are in early June 2016 at this point.  

20160630_011421.jpg

20160622_000132.jpg

20160621_103527.jpg

Here are some pictures of the skinning.  I used the...dang I forgot the name of the method.  I ran two lengths of paracord under the fabric and then sewed under them to pull the skin tight.  I really liked this method.  As you can see, I stabbed myself once at the very beginning, hence the blood stain, but that was the only time.  You can see the temporary supports on the inside of the coaming to hold it up, but I changed those later to something a bit smaller.  

20160709_212101.jpg

20160710_233913.jpg

20160715_112055.jpg

20160715_215136.jpg

6 hours ago, NY_Rocking_Chairs said:

Nice, I'm in Webster BTW, plan to get out paddling around Ellison with the scouts next weekend with my canoe and kayak.

Chairs, will you be paddling down Irondequoit Creek or just around the parking lots and dog park?  Haha :o 

Sorry, a little "flooding" humor that only those of us that live around Lake Ontario will get.  I'm in Fairport BTW.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, NY Dave said:

Chairs, will you be paddling down Irondequoit Creek or just around the parking lots and dog park?  Haha :o 

Sorry, a little "flooding" humor that only those of us that live around Lake Ontario will get.  I'm in Fairport BTW.

Ha, sorry don't log in much, also started a new job in May down in Henrietta so busy there.

Bay Creek told us the water level was the highest it's been since the early 1950's, up by about 5'  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry, i have not been on here in a while.  @jshaley, yes it is. It wasn't the best strongback, but it wasn't bad either.  It was definitely an easy and cheap way to get the boat straight.  

@NY_Rocking_Chairs @NY Dave Looks like you're both close.  I'm in Honeoye Falls now but I work in Henrietta.  I have another friend with a kudzu kayak in Chili/Gates.  Once the weather turns, we should all get together for a paddle!