Building Curlew

ShamblingBunyip

So I've gone back, re-measured every frame, checked my frames are symmetrical and checked the keel is straight. Put the stringers on, the stringers are fine.  They line up with each other nicely.  So I think to myself maybe one of these gunwales just bends differently to the other so I swap them over: no change. Still the starboard side is longer than the port.  I think I'm just going to have to trim them to fit and hope for the best.  Is half an inch difference in the gunwales going to make my boat lean or go in circles?  I've got to say the plywood pirogue I made last year (my first attempt at a boat) is much less symmetrical than this and it paddles pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure enough frame 8'2" was 15mm wider on one side than the other.  After cutting a new one the gunnels were still about 6mm out but I'll live with that.  So far this means errors in lofting have meant I've had to re-cut 3 frames and I re-did the first one I cut as it split when I was removing the centre.  50% messed up; maybe I should have bought the full sized plans.

Oh well.  Every thing is sanded the gunnels are trimmed and I've ordered my fabric, sinew and foot rests.  I'm pretty excited to get this finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...