Texas Spindrift 11N Build

PlaneCrazy

• 2 weeks later...

After cutting strips of mahogany for the gunwales, I had enough material left to duplicate the breasthook and transom knees. Hopefully this will allow me to leave these pieces bright when the rest of the boat is painted.

IMG_8160.thumb.JPG.3f18cc22cd13fa7c773373b07c04a9c8.JPG

This gave me a chance to finally use the compound feature of my compound miter saw.

IMG_8161.thumb.JPG.e0d47e7d17c1a4a254cf04af9bf17e08.JPG

Between screws and a few clamps I think I got things situated well enough for the epoxy.

IMG_7572.JPG

Not quite sure if the angle is correct, but it seems okay.

IMG_8164.JPG

Breasthook in place with clamps removed. I think I will remove the temporary screws before installing the gunwales.

Mike

I dug up every clamp I own and made a half-dozen more with wood and drywall screws. I installed the starboard side dry and then started on the port side. The two predrilled screws into the breasthook helped a lot, but it was still a challenge to get all three strips lined up. 

IMG_8168.thumb.JPG.7459144317f2be03c31697afb1a13ccd.JPG

IMG_8167.thumb.JPG.99bef38907fd8b57b0800f146d10b5e2.JPG

I left this to cure overnight. I tried to clean up the drips as much as possible but I think the underside of the gunwale has lots of extra epoxy. Maybe it will fill in any gaps that I have missed.

The next morning I did the starboard side. This time it went more smoothly.

IMG_8171.thumb.JPG.0c2d60e7dcb9fac79bc0dc2cb4a61cd0.JPG

IMG_8172.thumb.JPG.8e3ded0192080017ce44734d6704572c.JPG

IMG_8170.thumb.JPG.1fba5339728d11039cfcde8e1c1f78ba.JPG

I got all this done with no help. So now all my clamps are coated in epoxy.

Mike

Despite cleaning up underneath the gunwales, I still had to use a dremel and a sanding block to clean up the underside.  

Be sure to put enough permanent screws into the breathook and quarter knees as dictated by the plans.  I thought you were supposed to take all of the screws out and one of the gunwales broke free from the breasthook.