Cheap paint advice?

Wile E. Coyote

Hi,

I had some supplies left over after building a spindrift, so I've built a small kayak for my kids. The thing is going to get thrashed pretty hard so I don't want to spend lots of time or money painting it. I actually want to let my son choose colours and paint it. 

So can anyone recommend some type of paint to use?  Can I use automotive spray paint?  Construction is stitch and glue using West system epoxy. 

Thanks,

Matt

For me at least, I will only use one or two-part polyurethanes on my boats.  They are tough as nails, and a joy to work with.  Last year, I bought a quart of Kirby marine paint, mainly because of the color.  I am pleased with the color, but it is simply not as tough as my go-to paint, Brightside.  The extra $20 spent on a quart of paint is worth it.

IMG_8107.JPG

7 minutes ago, Thrillsbe said:

For me at least, I will only use one or two-part polyurethanes on my boats.  They are tough as nails, and a joy to work with. 

I agree with the tough part but I have never found them a joy to work with.

As to Kirby, I find it the best paint available for wooden boats without epoxy.

It's fun to brush on--  it's a fine, low-tech paint. By calling it a joy, I mean that if you thin it, and use it properly, it gives you a high gloss durable finish.  Kirby gives you neither.  My plan is to show y'all a photo of my bottom (canoe), once I'm capable of downloading it (the photo).  The forum app doesn't like photos taken and attached from my phone camera.

Kirby doesn't even pretend it is a high gloss paint or hard paint.  It is for classic boats that want to look classic.  It is soft, which means it will deal with expansion and contraction.  Hard paints crack in such applications. Kirby will tell you it is gloss and really looks more like a semi-gloss which is what was available when classic boats were first built a lot more forgiving of scratches.  I'm not trying to sell anyone on it, just don't put down what you don't understand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently learned that Rustoleum's topside marine paint was polurethane "fortified".  (Whatever that means.)  Since my local Benjamin Moore dealer carries it, and will custom mix colors, I might try it on my next small boat project.  But to me, Brightsides feels like formica on a boat, whereas the Kirby feels as soft as vinyl.

Kerby's is a real straight alkyd and for all practical purposes, so is Rustoleum, though it does have a few things added, nothing that can make it much more than a straight alkyd. It's most important additive is a flow promoter/hardener which helps it "lay down" and maintain a wet edge longer. Brightsides is a modified polyurethane, though similar chemically in some respects to alkyds, certainly a distinctly different formulation. The single part polyurethanes are the second toughest paints available, only bettered by the 2 part LPU's. Both of these are significantly harder than the alkyds.

The only boats I use Kirby on are classic plank on frame boats.  It sticks very well to wood that will become soggy and is soft enough to handle the expansion a traditional boat goes through in it's first couple days in the water each year.  Even if you got a 2 part LPU to stick, it will likely crack as it is so hard and doesn't like expanding wood.  It also works very well in paying out seems.  If I am doing a modern construction boat with thin candy shell of epoxy I go with modern plastic paints.

• 2 weeks later...