Cost of Building Your Bluejacket?

Frank Hagan

I will be selling my sailboat and trading to power. I'm just tired of rigging to launch that takes 45 minutes and then repeating the process in reverse when I end the day. 

I have the plans for the original BJ that I purchased when they were first offered, I doubt I'll be able to actually build another boat, especially one this large, but was interested in what you spent (less the outboard, anyway). 

I think Tom has a materials list that you can figure out your costs of the raw materials.  I can tell you that the hull is pretty reasonable by comparison to build for what you end up with. . Its  the lipstick , "high heels, tuxedos, and panty hose" that gets you.  Don't forget the KISS direction and you will not be that bad off. I am not a person of fancy means, and if I can afford a facsimile , then you should be just fine, other than living in one of the most expensive states in the country, California. ;) And the epoxy resin if bought from one outlet, E Bond will save you over half the price from most all other big named guys.  

Frank.. Just got you email message and I will try later today to get some costs together.. Like Oyster says getting the hull together is the foundation.. Adding the bling plays with the cost factor.. But there are benefits.  Our Bluejacket 28 has been a joy to build and to use. ( Great Loop in 2014-2015)  Work boat or Yacht  .. That is the question.. Which set of plans do you have ? 24 , 25. 5 or 27?  Day tripping or extended cruising?  Man cave or Admiral's delight?  Big ticket items.... Marine ply, epoxy, motor, trailer, electronics, Refreg, and composting head,,,, come to mind...

Our epoxy (Raka ) cut the cost of the other big names.. 

Will check with my Chief Financial Officer and get back to you on a better idea of costs.. 

My 25.5 was close to 30,000  that includes most of the bling as in solar panels, water heater with solar panel, radios, gps, backup camera and screen, ac and dc wiring, ice box wit compressor, kitchen sink/propane stove with propane alarm, anchor winch, composting toilet and two water tanks with plumbing.  

Egbert

Well here is a stab at our BJ28 costs. 

56 sheets of Marine BS1088 ply.. about 4K

Raka epoxy ..about 3.5 k including cloth 

and then wiring ,hydraulic  steering, lighting, refrigerator assorted hardware.. I am thinking with out trailer , motor, electronics etc somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand.  These are ball park figures.  

Currently we have over a thousand hours on the Yamaha F90 motor.

Henry

I have the plans for Hull #3, the original BJ 24, purchased on 3/4/2002! I dug out the plans and Tom included a cost list of the first one he built, Liz. A sheet of 12mm okoume ply was $49.37 back then. His 50hp outboard was $6,065 too, so the total boat, engine and trailer came in just over $15,200. I think $20k would probably be the lowest cost to build one now.

bj24plans.jpg

Frank, I am on the low end of the bling sale. I am into my 271 Boat, Motor and Trailer for approx. $30K. Used motor and trailer.

Epoxy was procured from US Composites at a fraction of the other guys. I was buying 6 gallon kits for about $45/gal delivered.

The wiring kit from EZ ACDC was a huge money and time saver. Plus it took the guesswork out of connectors wire gauge heat shrink etc etc.

Jim,c 

I am intrigued by EZ ACDC.  Never heard of them before and wonder if the quality is top notch.  I have done lots of marine wiring but don't need to reinvent the wheel. Anything that gets my Outer Banks 26 in the water sooner is appealing. Any other thoughts or comments appreciated. 

cheers,

Ken

FWIW and anyone looking into a future build, with my E Bond I average out with shipping about 33 to 34 bucks a gallon in six gallon kits. The five gallon kits, two resin and one hardener saves me about one dollar a gallon. But that has to be shipped common carrier to a commercial address.

• 1 year later...

I think this is fitting for this thread if someone is interested in a new build. And this section needs a refresh for the new year from the master himself. Its always nice to sneak in a trip on New Years day, blessed with shirt sleeve temps to boot.  And even if you age out of sailing, you can still rig it with a sail too. :lol::D

IMG_2496.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I had to restore the forum software from a backup done on 1/4/2019 due to problems with a server that I describe here.  It's unrelated to the issues this thread had, but we can pick up from where we are now. I apologize to everyone; you will see that anything you posted from about Jan 4th until earlier today, including private messages, are now gone.