Cockpit canvas camper CS 17

Jim Stumpf

I thought that I would start a new thread on my camper top build.

I started with an inexpensive bimini from Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Oceansouth-Bimini-Available-Three-Different/dp/B013ASEG9E/ref=sr_1_1?srs=8055815011&ie=UTF8&qid=1491246347&sr=8-1&keywords=2+bow+bimini

I have the Bimini installed backwards (on purpose) so that it folds forward. The secondary leg was shortened by about 10 inches as the frame is not centered fore and aft in the forward cockpit. I did not center the frame as I wanted to repurpose the forward oarlocks for the deck hinge.

The removable deck hinge is screwed to a riser block. The block has a carriage bolt dropped through the center of it and is wing nutted under the deck. This is kind of cool as the bolt acts as a pivot point for the hinge and gives you the ability to accommodate some twist for alignment.

The grey fabric hanging from the blue top (this bimini only comes in blue) is an apron piece that I am sewing to the top for attachment of the side wall curtains. The corners are not completed in the picture and were a major undertaking as you have to be able to sew in 3d, if you follow my lead on this project you will need the help of a very good friend as this can get a little frustrating and intense. They are currently finished and I will have to get some pics posted.

So far so good I will keep you posted. I also just completed a sun shade for the aft cockpit and will post some pics, that is a more floating assembly and more of a fly. The above bimini would probably work in the aft cockpit if you don't mind all of the addition hardware but it would fit.

More progress pics as they come available.

Thanks,

Jim

IMG_20170402_101830136.jpg

IMG_20170402_101801879.jpg

Sun shade progress

This is what I would consider a picnic canopy or hanging out at the anchorage sun shade. Certainly not to be used underway. Still working out lines and misc. shown below is a pic with it at rest for overhead sun and then another pic with it under tension for side shade, you can almost pull it to the deck if needed. The loose flap forward was left to go around the mast and eventually attached to the camper to fill in the void between the camper and the mast where I am sure 90% of the sun will fall in a strip across my napping face. 

IMG_20170403_184412285.jpg

IMG_20170403_185252205.jpg

IMG_20170403_174728282.jpg

There is the telescoping pole just in front of the lazaret, which is the only structure in the shade pushing up. Just aft of the adjustable pole the canopy actually drops towards the rudder head giving protection from the sun as it drops closer to to the horizon. Yes the forward end attaches to the mast.

Hope that helps. If the sun ever comes out I will roll the trailer out and get some better pictures.

Jim

It looks like a good design. I hope you don't mind if I copy it. The tricky detail is to get a seal around the mast for rain. The halyards and other lines being in the way. That's why I thought about using the mizzen as a ridge pole and covering the  entire cockpit as necessary.  Your design is better to set up.

With the seat boards in and the bimini camper up the forward cockpit should be cozy and dry. I am assuming there will be water in the bilge if it rains but I will be elevated high and dry on the seat boards. My concept was for the aft cockpit cover to be the porch and the camper to be the living space. I will just velcro the sunshade around the mast and not worry about water in the aft cockpit as I have already conceded defeat and will not be disappointed :rolleyes:.

Jim

Got around to some new pics.

All panels will have a corner zip so that each wall can be rolled out of the way. Walls are sewn to the top via the skirt that was added at the start.

Forward wall mostly complete, needs screen.

Sidewalls about 30% complete. Need small fixed windows to check surroundings at night. Need snap rail and aft corner zip.

Enjoy, I am always open to constructive advise, screwing up so that you dont have to ;)

Thanks,

Jim

IMG_20170411_203556272.jpg

IMG_20170411_203605940.jpg

IMG_20170411_204418251.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slow and steady maybe I will get the job done. Wow this is tougher than building the boat.:blink:

Todays progress. The old man that taught me to sail always laughs that my anchors are bigger than needed. We shall see now with all of that windage.

Aft curtain with doors and window.

Thanks,

Jim

IMG_20170422_185921763.jpg

IMG_20170422_190036016.jpg