Carlita's EC2017

Designer

7 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Speaking of oars---oh, we weren't---anyway, how long are Carlita's oars? Summer Breeze wants a pair of her own. Her oar locks will be on top of the coaming, not in a notch like Carlita's.

Pete Culler says I want 10 ft. long oars for my 15' 8" Lapwing.  After on season I decided I disagree.  I think I will try 9 ft. as I can do it with out losing the ferrels that are already bonded on.  But I am afraid I might like 8 ft..  Paying attention to other answers...................

Ditto what Alex said.  

These videos really capture the intensity and variety of conditions.  The anchoring footage in Highsmith's (Swimboy's) video was neat too.  

Thanks for taking the time to video, edit, and report!  

Steve,

In Carlita's first EC I did some temporary stuff because of time and everything had to come back off for finishing. I had a couple of small leaks plus I found a tiny leak under my forward king post. It was a real pain to have to sponge out every time I stopped and cost me a lot of time searching for the problem. Not to mention water damage to gear.

I spent enough time in this years EC to go through one of the wettest part of the course and I was delighted to report that not one drop of water entered the boat that did not drip off of me. The same went for driving rain at 60 mph on the highway. The little bit of water that dripped off of me was easily sponged out of the glassed in well between the bunks.

• Like 1

Chick, have you used the standard oar length formula? I know of a couple (actually several) formulas, some I like better than others. One has you divide the distance between the sockets then add 2". Next multiply by 25, then divide this number by 7, which will give you the oar length in inches. So, let's say the socket distance is 72", divided by two and you get 36", plus 2" and you're at 38". Times 25 equals 950", lastly divided by seven and you get 135.7", which I think is a bit long. The other popular one is half the distance between the sockets, times 3, plus 6" (add 6" more for oar grip overlap, if you like that). This formula on a 72" socket distance is a 114'" oar, which sounds better. Another formula is simply adding 2' to the beam of the boat at the locks, which brings you to an 8' oar on a 6' beam and about the same as the second one I mentioned.

This means a CS-20 would like an 8' oar, though I think this might be a little short, so maybe a 8' 6" or 9' would be better. A CS-20 MK3 would like a 9' or 9' 6" oar, possibly a 10' given her freeboard would feel better.

The issue at hand is the affect that the high freeboard has on the standard formula. I think Chick and I need to plan on making a pair of long 'uns out of lumberyard spruce, with some of those magical carbon fiber sleeves from Duckworks.  What do you think, Chick?  You can certainly try out my 8 footers at the Southern Appalachian Messabout next month.  They are 2'-5" from the collars to the inboard ends of the handles. 

Chick,

I have to measure my oars, I think that they are 9'6" or a bit longer. Don't forget, I cut a slice out of my coamings to get the oarlocks lower. This allows for shorter oars.

Don,

I was well pleased with a cell phone and the Navionics nav program. I did just use it as a backup for my Garmin. The Garmin did go black one time and I was happy to have a backup. I used it at night time for planning the next days sail. I found that each map covered areas differently and it was handy to have a second opinion in areas where I wanted more detail. It worked for me every time and I am glad that I had it.

I tried to download Peter's recommended program but could not find a cell phone app for it. In fact I could not get it loaded onto my computer for a test drive. I guess I need a millennial to help me.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. Guess Don and I will need to make those long-uns. I'll probably only need em when i sail on "his" lakes where a permit for a non-motor boat is $5.00/year, while the annual permit for a motor is beaucue (look it up, y'all) bucks a year. Lotsa lakes up here are private, or city or county owned as sources of water, so they charge a bunch for anyone to use them for boating. Sure do miss the good 'ol free ramps on the coast!

Now, back to the main subject of this thread.....

Agreed, Chick.  The annual permit for Lake Bowen is $400 (for out-of-state residents) to launch  a powered boat at my preferred lake.  That includes an electric trolling motor!  The permit is only good for two lakes in the area.  Needless to say, I don't buy one.  They will only ever see my sails and oars.

• Like 1