Carlita's EC2017

Designer

That is an odt. file which I believe may be an open office text document. If that is true you can go to file and export as a pdf. otherwise it is unreadable I think except by those that have Open Office. Graham if that is true that it is an Open Office document I can convert it for you if you send it to me.

Thanks for the report, Graham.  I agree with replacing the word "failure", maybe with "scratched".  I lost a whole month in building my skiff, due to a horrible back failure.  There is absolutely nothing you can do in that circumstance, except respect the pain.  You did the right thing.  

• Like 1

Thank you for relating the story of Nomadic and Rover coming to the assistance of a fellow boater. There are not many details, but they could not have known that someone desperately needed their help when they interrupted their plans to investigate an unusual flashing light.  Nice lesson.

• Like 1

Thinking back, I realized that I made an error. Alan and Paul left Chocoloskee in fourth place behind the Thistle and the two CS17's.

It was very lucky that the La Perla crew recognized the SOS. By Bones admission, he should not have left Flamingo. He was hallucinating and another crew tried to dissuade him from leaving without more rest. 

There was one more rescue. The Coast Guard plucked a kayak-er from his boat that was aground near the Crocodile Drag-over in Florida bay with severe hypothermia.

• Like 1

I feel that the new centerboard is better. I still have not had the chance to do some tacking in flat, tideless water to see what my tacking angle is.  I had to pinch to lay course in some fresh wind and was able to make the buoy I was aiming for which pleased me. I believe that the picture that was posted on the watertribe facebook page was taken at that time.

• Like 1

Amos,

Southern Skimmer is a fast boat and with two crew and the comfort of a dry cabin they were able to get some rest when conditions allowed and managing their resources better by stopping and resting when the tide was against them and sailing better than the opposition.

The thing I noticed about the CS-17 was it had a fat groove, making keeping her moving well a good bit easier than other boats. I've never sailed the speciality versions of the CS series, but I'll suspect similar qualities. Was the B/L ratio changed on these Graham? WS/SA ratio, etc, compaired to the MK1 CS-17?

PAR,

I widened the chines slightly and lengthened the WL by raking the transom the other way but kept the keel rocker the same. The idea was to carry the extra weight of the ballast and the structure and to keep the performance about the same. The Mk3 was also given some more sail area which she can carry because of the increased stability. 

The only performance test that I have had so far was when John Bell and I were running down the Gulf Coast in a good afternoon nor wester. We were about a hundred yards apart and before we went our separate ways it looked to me that we had not gained a millimeter on each other for maybe an hour.