Wanted to contact Dale Niemann, cockpit tent

Jim Stumpf

I was hoping to ask Dale a couple of questions about the tent he had on Lively. I see that his profile does not allow PM and it doesn't appear that he has checked in here in awhile.

If anyone speaks with Dale please pass along the request as I would really like to discuss his design.

Thanks,

Jim 

Ok, Jim.  You caught up with me. 

My life over the last year has been very busy.  After 54 years of marriage, my wife and I have divorced.  As we discovered after  8 months of couples therapy, we had swept a few too many things under the rug.  We parted fairly amicably and sold our house on the water.  I have purchased a new to me home in a 55+ community.  The garage is cramped for boat building so for the foreseeable future I will be building kayaks or very small sailboats or have somebody else build one for me.  i have been thinking about transitioning into a low powered displacement speed motor beach cruiser.  (Just thinking).

Ok Jim, what is your question?  If I can figure it out, I will open up myself for PMs.  I thought I had it open already. I apologize to others who have PMed me and I have not had time to respond.

Dale

Hello Dale,

Thanks for the response, no need for a PM, just had seen that you hadn't posted in awhile and wanted to get your attention.

I will be visiting Fl this year for the FL 120, I will be making up a cockpit tent and have been struggling with a design. I think about moving the mast to the third mast step (for nights) and going full cockpit with it or possibly stopping at the thwart with a half deal similar to yours.I am leaning toward your design (and not fight the mast) and then possibly adding just a sun shade aft to create cover but not an enclosed space. 

The only feedback that I have seen from you regarding yours was that you thought it too tall. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated and as always pics rule.

I am curious as to your method of connection to the hull and how you dealt with the fact that the cover does not waterproof/bug proof the entire cockpit. Did you install screening below the thwart and dams on the seat to keep water from rolling under your cover.

Sorry to have stalked you and I look forward to your advise, Lively has been an inspiration over the years.  Good luck in this new phase of your life, I've been married for over thirty years and can imagine your change (for good or bad) has been a challenge.

Thanks,

Jim 

Dale,

I have similar desires re a cockpit tent for the CS17 I'm building. I also would appreciate any insights and details on your tent. As Jim said, photos of Lively have been an inspiration to me in choosing the CS17. I also wish you the best with your life changes as change is always hard.

Regards,

Brian

CS 17 #191