Marine Plywood manufactured in Greece by Mourikis

SteveJW

Hello All,

In an attempt to source marine plywood closer to home for my CS17, I discovered that The Hardwood Store of North Carolina, located in Gibsonville, NC, carries marine plywood that is manufactured in Greece by Mourikis.  I have not seen this plywood yet since it is a 3.75 hour drive (one-way).  

Is anyone familiar with Mourikis and the quality of their marine plywood?  

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Which of thier Marine ply are you looking at?  Okume, Meranti. Birch...   I bought some 6mm Meranti their a little over a year ago.  Had no issues and was decent stuff.  I will check tonite if I can remember to see what brand it was.  I remember it had a dragon symbol stamp on it.  I think I read good stuff about the Mourkis stuff back awhile.   If you are in western NC, give the guy at scroungers paradise a call.  At times he has some marine ply there for a good price.  He had some Okume back a couple years ago that was ridiculously cheap.  He also has some other exotic woods like teak, mahoghany, sapele, Ipe,  that you might find useful for your build.

I have not used it yet. Because i have a German manufacturer near by.
But on their homepage is written, that they produce Lloyd´s, BS1088 and CE certificated Plywood. 
So it should be good material. But you should take care, that your Hardwood Store sells you the right plywood for your project and not plywood for indoor use.
http://de.plywood.mourikis.gr/εφαρμογεσ.html
read the last column it is German but you see the certificates...

Steve, Gibsonville is about 3 1/4 miles from me, too. I'd like to check-em-out. Okoume is what we want. Here ya go. It's 1088, so should be good. https://hardwoodstore.com/hardwood-plywood 

1blueheron, Scrounger's Paradise in Asheville? I live in Hendersonville, about 35 miles from Asheville. I'll check-it-out. I think Thrillsbe has gotten some there.

Thanks for all the replies.  

I should have specified that I'm looking at the Okoume.    

I've read positive comments about The Hardwood Store of NC on some general woodworking sites.  They've been in business for 20+ years, so they're doing something right with their customers.  

1blueheron, I am in western NC, so I'll definitely check out scroungers paradise.

Thanks again for your input!

-Steve

Steve and Chick,  Let me know if you find any good deals at scroungers and yes it is in asheville.  It's a bit of a drive for me but, if they have some good stuff cheap, I might make the trip.  tHEY ARE LISTING 3/16" Okume on their website right now which would make some great cabin skins for me. Doesn't say if it is marine or not.  Wife is itching to visit Biltmore anyway.  I'm about 1.5 hr north of Gibsonville.  Hardwoods of NC has some cool stuff if you like exotic wood.  I could drop some serious coin in that place if I had it.

World Panel Products is located in Williamston, NC. and they supply the very large boat building industry on the coast of NC. They sell Okoume 1088 and several others types of plywood along with many varieties of high end dimensional lumber. They have the ability to bundle and palletize their product for LTL shipments. You can google their contact information and get a free quote. I have dealt with them on two occasions and they are easy to work with. They are open M-F and closed on the weekends.

Let's see...  70 mph at 20 mpg = 3.5 gallons/hr. Multiply by 7 for a round trip tells me you'd consume 24.5 gallons of gas (in my truck).  At current gas prices, that's about $50 for fuel, plus a whole day on the road.  Makes me wonder what shipping would cost.  

I've never been to Scroungers, and I used Meranti for my BRS15 build.  Makes a stronger but much heavier boat.  (But we've already had that discussion.) B and B has great prices on Joubert Okoume.  Be sure to get a quote from them (including shipping, of course).

Steve, 

I live just west of Winston-Salem and have used the Okoume ply from the hardwood store for my CS17....just got 2 sheets from them about 2 weeks ago. I am not an expert on plywood. As you said...indicated to be BS1088, certified, etc. etc.  What I have noticed is the followng:

Con: the plys are not uniform. From reading other's posts, it seems that this is desirable. Nevertheless, this never seemed to be a problem in any aspect of my working with it as far as I can tell.

Pros: i have never found any voids or defects and have gone through 11 sheets (3 9mm sheets and 8 6mm sheets). Hardwood store very easy to work with and seems to have a good supply.

Would be happy to send you pictures of end grain if it would be helpful.

Will Acree

BS 1088 is for all purposes now a voluntary standard and is being misused by some manufacturers.  The stamp by itself should be suspect.  I tried to find the actual manufacturer of the Okoume and Sapele I bought with the Boulter label which they told me was made in Greece.  Both were excellent based on the 2 sheets of Sapele and 19 sheets of Okoume I bought.  We have 2 choices:  1. buy from a reputable dealer/manufacturer  2. gamble

• Like 1

I have this discussion around the interweb fairly regularly and the key to getting reliable stuff, is the supplier. Most all the "usual suspects" will have been checked and this is especially true in the last few years, because many took a bath on what they thought was a deal come true. I haven't seen any of the Chinese junk that was pushed around a few years back. In fact, it's been a couple of years since I've actually seen one of these sheets, though I do know that as recent as summer 2015 in Australia, some suppliers were still trying to off load their purchasing miscalculations, on customers (they knew what they had). Find a well known/trusted supplier and consider a coop with other builder(s), so you can get volume price breaks.

B and B may still be selling marine ply and they are quite reputable.  It's a longer drive than Gibsonville, though.

And (to echo PAR) I believe the standard calls for equal thickness veneers throughout before sanding so the outer veneers will often be thinner.