Forum Updated

Frank Hagan

We are finally updating the forum software to the newest version. This change will take several more hours. I anticipate all the database work to be completed by end of day Thursday, January 26th. Until that time you may see "bugs" in things like post counts, etc. Other changes:

Usernames (log in names) and display names have been merged in the new version:

Most of you use the same name in both places. The updated software will use your username or log in name as your display name.

No more "Friends":

Instead of friends, the new version features followers. You can follow another member without that being automatically reciprocal, so you don't have to agree to be friends first. Because automatically changing your friends to people you follow will result in an avalanche of notifications for every post that person has made, I will not be converting your Friends into people you follow. This is something you will need to do yourself after the change. 

22 minutes ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Not complaining! Just noticing another little "bug". I tried to "italicize" part of a post, and it wouldn't do it.

Thanks again Frank. We all love what you all is doing!

That's what this thread is for ... all of you are my guinea pigs in testing this. Actually, I held back upgrading for over a year as the software vendor ironed out most of the kinks, but the old software was reaching the "end of life" status soon. So security updates would not be forthcoming sometime after that. Let's see if I type some text and then try to italicize a word in it. (That seemed to work by highlighting the word and clicking the I button). Now let's try clicking the button and typing ... that works too.

What OS are you using (Mac, PC, etc.) and browser?

I haven't switched to Win10, as though I recieved before most folks (MS Insider program delivered the download at 12:03 am 7/30/'15), within a few hours of investigating, there was no advantage to my SP1- Win7 - 64 bit. No improvements to memory handling, resource allocation/allotment, startup speeds, etc., so why bother. Then again, I've noticed you never get the even number Windows versions, as they all seem to suck or do nothing. If I used a touch screen regularly, then maybe it would be a good idea. I got into computers a long time back, my first was a 286 - 16 mg with a huge 2 mg hard drive and dual 5.25 floppies. I used to have to get the latest and greatest hunks of software, just to keep up or make it more stable. Crashing several times a day was normal, if you were working the machine. Eventually, I discovered (the hard way) that stability is much more important, than the latest and greatest, so this is my focus on upgrades. Additionally, I still run a few 16 bit programs, which isn't possible on Win10, without jumping through hoops, so . . .

Hell, it took me a few years to decide on Win7 - 32 or 64 bit. The 64 architecture has obvious advantages, but also disadvantages, so I patched the 32 bit to access more than 4 gig of RAM, which solved the primary issues. Only recently have I gone full 64 bit, which looks to hold up against Win10 well. I'll wait on Win11 and see what it brings. I've heard little good, about folks running Win10.

If you're fairly computer savvy, this isn't as big an issue as you might think. In most cases the previous Win7 files have been overwritten, to make space, but usually there's a hidden partition on the hard drive, with all the Win7 files on it. It's part of the recovery package that comes with most machines. If playing with hidden files isn't your best skill set, call the guru . . .

Hey Frank, what's this new "Leaderboard" thing? Most popular threads?

Gosh, Par, I have NO idea what you'tr talking about with the "computer-ese" language. But, if I had the choice now, i would have stayed with Windows 7. I haven't seen an advantage with 10, but I'm not smart enough to know the difference. Maybe some of my problems come from the 10. I dunno.

This was a painful lesson I had to learn some years back. A stable system is a happy system, so once you've got a machine in a place where it works well and doesn't give you the blue screen or death or similar, don't screw with it. Most folks can do well, simply setting their machine up for performance, rather than as it comes from the factory, with all the bells and unnecessary whistles turned on. You don't need mouse pointer trails, fading in and out drop down menus and a sexy woman's voice telling you how foolish your last mouse click was do you? Save some RAM and turn this stuff off. My goals are a fast as possible and stable machine, so I don't have any translucent menu screens, with graduated color fades in the title bar. I also look to maximize memory allocation and appointment, hence my need for more than the 4 gig on the 32 bit system limits. It's a huge difference being able to use more RAM (I'm running the max of 16 on this machine). If you don't understand this stuff, walk away and let the guru take care of it, though after years of cussing at these puppies, even someone like me can eventually absorb enough to get through it. Those of you that actually remember a 286 - 16 mg machine, well I broke two keyboards (repaired one) learning the most inventive cursing you can use on an inanimate object (much like my ex-wife). My next machine (about 8 months later) was a 386-20 mg with a massive 16 mg hard drive and an unheard of 2 mg's of RAM. I actually remember telling myself I'd never have enough files to fill this thing, but sure enough just about 6 month later, I had a new 386-33 mg, because the old machine was experiencing a drive controller error and I knew what this meant. I had a full head of hair back then.

22 hours ago, PAR said:

Hey Frank, what's this new "Leaderboard" thing? Most popular threads?

Looks like it's most popular and most active. One of those "gamification" things to make you more interested in the forum. Like any of that is going to fool us.