Carlita's new adventure

Designer

Its too bad that Graham had to pull out. He surely worked his butt off to get his boat right and attempted to enjoy the trip down before the race that he had to cut short too.  Thankfully the mast did not fall and hurt Alan either.  With the pattern of bad weather in March, maybe the race should be moved to maybe April. Mister Moon, was starting to worry about you, as I had not seen you posting. Check in sometime and lets catch up.

Alan and Paul made it into Flamingo late, and looks like they are still there. Swimboy has been going all night? When does he take a break? It looks like he is a couple of miles west of Flamingo, but I think with a head wind. Nomadic stayed back at Highland Beach. Dawn and Kristen are at Chokoloskee. Not sure where Graham is and I know he is wishing he could be out there but he gets a lot of satisfaction from watching his boats and thier crews.

Dawn and Kristen have left Chokoloskee, but instead of staying on the inside route through the Wilderness Waterway they headed out into the Gulf.

Nomadic is off the beach and headed around Cape Sable.

Alan and Paul are headed back out of Flamingo heading the long way round avoiding the obstacles of Florida Bay.

Swimboy checked into Flamingo and headed back out. However he appears to be heading into Florida Bay. The Bay is a shorter route but can be tricky to impossible depending on the conditions. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the dumb question but are the difficult conditions of this years race from too much or too little wind, or other issues?

Swimboy quietly achieves amazing things. I got to know him while selling the boat to him and learned he circumnavigated FLORIDA twice in a kayak, coming in second place once. (Watertribe Challenge maybe?) He was ready to have a little more boat under him so was interested in a CS. So glad we found each other. I thought I may be renamed Swimboy after two of my three sailing adventures! ???

Looking at the EC results, Sewsew single handing a wing mast tri finished in 3d 10h 9m. Paul & Alan finished in 4d 13h 9m (27 hrs later) to take class 4. Considering they had a dismasting which cost them about 12 hrs to jury rig, this was an absolutely fantastic performance! Congrats, Guys!

From Race Owl, the other CS 17's are doing well- Swimboy (singlehander) off Lower Matacumbe Key, Nomadic (two crew) leaving CP3. Maybe stock CS17 better than 'turbo' in heavy air?

Any word about how Graham's doing?

Sorry about wrong first attachment- I can't find out how to remove an attachment

EC Thu AM.jpg

EC Tue PM.jpg

17 hours ago, LennieG said:

Sorry for the dumb question but are the difficult conditions of this years race from too much or too little wind, or other issues?

Swimboy quietly achieves amazing things. I got to know him while selling the boat to him and learned he circumnavigated FLORIDA twice in a kayak, coming in second place once. (Watertribe Challenge maybe?) He was ready to have a little more boat under him so was interested in a CS. So glad we found each other. I thought I may be renamed Swimboy after two of my three sailing adventures! ???

That is not a dumb question, but one that is not easy to answer from in front of a computer. My guess would be too much wind and other issues.

Every year there are competitors who do well in conditions that  are too much for others. It seems to be a combination of crew experience, seaworthiness of the boat, and lady luck. Swimboy appears to be insight of Key Largo. I think you both deserve congratulations for a job well done.

The following is a chart from data collected off of Naples, Fla. for this past week.  Blue is wind speed in knots. I believe the red represents wind gusts.

plot_wind_pres.png.cad523f82b9e4d35c3e0697ac9db5b27.png

• 3 weeks later...

Swimboy must be one tough guy to do so well singlehanded.  But to answer the question of how the turbo rig does against the standard rig in heavy air, there shouldn't be much difference as both boats would be reefed down anyway.  

I could not do the race this year due to a conflicting event but our CS17 La Perla was sailed by Nomadic (Alex Mehran) and Rover (Drew McMillan).  The "turbo" rig is about 300mm taller than normal and the sails have a small fat head.  In the big wind on Sunday they had a tough beat down by Sanibel but with deep reefs in they had no problems other than getting soaked. 

Their original plan was to stop every night which they did, sometimes in good style, the first two nights.  After that they camped on Indian Key and then Highland Beach (they woke up to low tide and the boat 100' from the water....blow up the rollers).  At Flamingo they decided they needed to do a nighttime run to make it to Key Largo or be late for the party.  While running west out of Flamingo to go the long way around in deep water Alex spotted a light just before they jibed to head south.  Looking again he saw it was signaling SOS.  They sailed back to find Capt Bones in the mangroves without his Hobie Adventure Island, hypothermic, dehydrated and a bit delirious.  They drained his dry suit which was open and got him into the boat.  Then getting no sign of help from CG or Park Rangers, they sailed him back to Flamingo....Bones was then transported by Rangers to an ambulance and spent the night in the Homestead Hospital.  At one point that night I texted Alex to see how they were making out not knowing this was going on.  His reply was "your boat is an ambulance right now". Great thing they did saving Bones.