Carlita's new adventure

Designer

The latest word from Capt'n Graham ( Not sure if he is going to try to post to the forum or not. Probably not)

On feb. 2 at 8:15am. Graham was about to get underway. He was ready at 5am but the cold kept him from getting started. He had a great sail down the Cape Fear River using the windvane which allowed him to get the boat tidy'd up. He was fighting the tide/current most of the time he reported but he made some good progress nonetheless. He acknowledged and thanked those that were at the dock to see him off. (Seuss, thanks for the picture). He reported that after initially fighting the outboard it has since started first time every pull. He also said he's getting used to everyone yelling "Nice boat" to him as they pass. 

• Like 2

I just saw Carlita and Graham pass by my house on Oak Island. I went out to the deck and yelled hello, but Graham didn't hear me.  It looked like he was starting the outboard.  I wish I would've been quick enough to take a picture to post here.

The route Graham is currently taking in the ICW is one that I have done many times in both power and sailboats.  The consistency of Carlita's progress would indicate that he is under power 100% of the time.  Average speed of today leaving from Little River, SC is about 3.33mph, which looks reasonable for a 17' boat and a small 2.5hp motor.  As the weather warms, he should be able to get in more time but the speed in the ICW may not increase much.  Favorable winds will help but north wind means cold with northwest wind probably the best this time of year but none are in the near forecast.  Probably not a good chance of getting outside in the ocean soon if the forecast is right. 

I made it from within a couple hundred yards of where he spent Friday night to Georgetown, SC in one day on Jan 10 in a 35' sailboat.  We started as soon as we could see and finished well after dark in Georgetown.  Not advisable but we needed to transfer crew there.  Probably ran more than 12 hours when daylight is far less.  Will probably take him 3 days for the same route.  Similar conditions of cold and rain which it looks like he may see.  Good food and some warmth available in Georgetown.  My last trip down Winyah Bay leaving Georgetown could best be called nasty but at least dry. 

Tom nailed it. Graham reported that he's been 100% under power with foul wind and current all morning. He had been through 3 tanks of gas by just after 2pm when I spoke to him. He tried putting up sail but the wind was too ahead to be of any help. He figures he's got to keep up a pace of 30miles per day to make it to Tampa in time for the EC. With any luck he may be able to jump outside once further south and make some extra miles if conditions allow. 

Yesteady evening Graham reported 41 miles completed. By his "current" calculations he needs to do 35 miles per day to reach Tampa Bay I'm time. Graham has yet to show me how to do "current calculations" but I think it must involve dragging your pen and paper in the water. ? 

He was able to sail part of the day but the winding course made for inconsistent help. Fortunately he caught the top of the tide and was getting a good push south much of the time. 

2 hours ago, Alan Stewart said:

Yesteady evening Graham reported 41 miles completed. By his "current" calculations he needs to do 35 miles per day to reach Tampa Bay I'm time. Graham has yet to show me how to do "current calculations" but I think it must involve dragging your pen and paper in the water. ? 

He was able to sail part of the day but the winding course made for inconsistent help. Fortunately he caught the top of the tide and was getting a good push south much of the time. 

Good answer Alan.  Just compare the log speed of the pen and paper to the GPS and the difference is current.

I have always heard that if you are on some sort of time frame, don't go by boat. ;)  I think he is already where he wants to be, on the boat and underway with this epic journey in the dead of winter.  I remember last year when he just wandered around the southern end of the race appearing to be in no real hurry.

Graham didnt quite hit his miles yesterday. His spot stopped tracking so he is not where it shows him as of yesterday evening. He reported that he was getting low on fuel and with no fuel docks close by decided to stop in at a ramp where a fisherman gave him a gallon of gas. That allowed him to make it to a fuel dock but it was after hours and so he waits for them to open in the morning. He has used 6 gal of gas so far and said he might pick up another 1 gal gas can for extra range. 

While anchored he said he enjoyed watching some very strange faint and semicircular pressure waves moving around the boat which were highlighted by the low angle of the sun reflecting off the water. When he saw a dolphin jump he realized they were swimming just below the surface and causing the waves like a submarine. 

For some reason his stove stopped working the other day but has since been working fine, not sure if the valve is acting up. Not a problem, yet. This is the stove he's using https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LW87Z9O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486550557&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=stove+single+butane+propane&dpPl=1&dpID=51Pw-Cq9wYL&ref=plSrch it's dual fuel. Graham used it for a few weeks at the shop making tea and such and it worked well. hope it holds up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hirilonde said:

Winter backpackers don't use butane as a fuel for cooking.  It doesn't work well, if at all when it is cold.  Propane works better.  White gas is best of all, but not as safe or convenient to use.

.That is why you keep the butane can in the sleeping bag with you.   He ran out just short of a gas stop at Mclellanville.  I always fuel up at Isle of Palms where he is now.

6 hours ago, Tom Lathrop said:

.That is why you keep the butane can in the sleeping bag with you.

I have found that doesn't work very well while hiking.  I keep my sleeping bag in my pack when I hike and both are on my back. I've never met another hiker in the winter who uses butane. it just isn't worth the trouble.

Instructions for what Stjoeguy said are on the B&B website under "learn more about the race" also copied below. The Chief is holding the watertribe tracking map open for Graham and others and to our benefit!

The Watertribe website includes a “tracking map” where the entrants can be tracked. All participants are required to carry a SPOT satellite Tracking unit.
-Select EC2017 for the event.
-Select “class 4” for small sailboats to see how Graham and Alan are doing against similar boats or all to see everyone.
-Graham’s “tribe-name” is ROO. Alan’s “tribe-name” is SOS.
-Click on “regenerate view”

Just heard from Graham. Bucking the current most of the day but made a solid 40.6 statute miles today. Almost out of gas and about to head into estuary reserve land he's planning to just take what comes and refuel in Beaufort (about 35 statues miles away by ICW). He has been impressed how the little outboard provides a nice little push even when running at idle to make it through a pinch or to round a corner under sail. 

He commented that his stove was acting up using propane so not a temp issue (he's only been using propane thus far) the stove is dual fuel and Graham has both butane and propane canisters on board.

Another fellow watertriber Shawn AKA Lawless met Graham on a dock somewhere and they had a friendly but brief exchange. His post below copied from the Watertribe Facebook group.

Shawn Payment He just passed by my house on the Stono River, west of Charleston, SC. I offered him a hot shower and/or a meal but he said that he "had a long way to go!" and motored on! He said he would see me in St. Pete! 

Lawless sees Graham.jpg

• Like 1