Carlita's new adventure

Designer

Thanks tjsmith. I see that the lake level is almost 14' so there should not be any restrictions on the other locks.

Rick, thanks for the offer, I will take your number with me. Thanks to everyone who has given me encouragement. The boat is now upright on the trailer and I think that I will be able to leave on schedule.

• Like 1

Don,

Yes there is a magnetic compass aboard. I would not like to be without a compass and it almost never breaks down.

As far as I know, there are no other fees. There is a annual subscription fee if you want to keep the charts updated.

Polaris is another nav app and it is free. The charts can be copied for free but they were fairly large files and I needed a lot of charts. If you were sailing a local area and only need a few charts at a time it would be a cheap way to go. 

You guys should look into NAVIGATRIX. I have it on my e-bay $100 HP2740 that I use on the boat. It is absolutely brilliant. Designed by cruisers for sailors. And, technically, it can be had for 0$. ( They ask for donations ). As for charts- ALL CHARTS in the US ( -both raster and vector- electronic data) are produced by the government. ANYONE can download them for free. Including updates, notices to mariners and such. Part of your tax refund.  Why would anyone pay gobs of money for free charts? Another way we all pitch in to perpetuate the -boat is a hole in the water to throw money into- my guess. Navigatrix AND every single ( vector) chart of US waters will fit onto 8Gig thumb drive. It is a stand-alone app - just stick it into USB port, boot up and you're away. I should also mention that I had to buy a puck GPS ($40) since the HP has no inbuilt GPS capability.  As I am writing this I noticed that Navigatrix has a beta version for Android. That sounds tempting since I also have Galaxy5 but I think I still prefer the larger screen of the HP for chart work. As a back up maybe. Fair winds PeterP

I was pondering the value of stowing a calibrated magnet on board, what with triple redundancy in electronics.  

I already have iSailor on my iPhone 6s, and have purchased the charts pertaining to my coastal areas of interest (including the Bay River).  I also have a nice old puck-style handbearing compass, which might second as a back-up in the event of power loss, Trump depowering the GPS system as part of the process of making our nation great again, etc.   

All that said, what type of compass do y'all use?  The ones I love best are the expensive ones, of course.  Plus, they'd probably look darned ridiculous on a 15 foot open skiff.

(I apologize for the sarcastic political commentary.  I'll behave myself in the future, I hope.)

post-3770-0-34124100-1485012857_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-76520000-1485013092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of work has been done since I last posted but Carlita is about ready for the big trip. I am about 4 days behind my target departure date which is starting to run my daily average higher than I am comfortable with. Beth has volunteered to drive me down to Wrightsville beach NC Friday morning to help me catch up my lost time.

The centerboard and trunk modification is finished, the keel re-faired and SS hollow back installed, bottom anti-fouled, cockpit painted and the varnish inside and out coated. 

One modifications I did was to build a roller furling jib which will be a lot easier to use than hoisting and dousing a spinnaker single handed. I also made a pair of 9' 9" take apart oars so that they can be stowed inside the cockpit coamings without hanging out of the back of the boat.

roller jib 2.jpg

roller jib 1.jpg

• Like 1

Drew,

I can't wait to try it out either. I am hoping that it will lift my daily average in light air.

If you follow the line that passes by #7 on the registration numbers down, you should be able to see part of the bow board poking out that I am experimenting with. I am hoping that it will reduce the lee helm when I am sailing close hauled. I have carried a spinnaker on Southern Skimmer with the wind forward of the beam which can induce a fair amount of lee helm if the wind is fresh. Once the wind goes further aft it is not  problem.  The board is not real big as I wanted to keep it within the forward locker.

It is all experimental. I had an old Harken furling drum and Bainbridge once sold me some blue sail cloth cheap that the die had run and they could not sell it as premium quality. 

Alex,

I have just finished packing and am off to bed as it is a very early start in the morning. I can post some more picks when I get back.

This will be my last post for a while. I am bringing the link forward for the spot tracking.  http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0eHa05kYuBYnYvSIGGCbp4PpdXZchEvKn

It will be active when I start it tomorrow afternoon. Just click the link and you will see the position updated every 10 minutes. The position can be shown on a map. 

• Like 1