A few questions from a newbie...

Upacreek

Been searching online for supplies. Found a 4.5oz nylon fabric for $4.99 a yard. Would this be suitable for covering a skin on frame kayak? Is it too light or not compatible with my coating? I am going to use Cabots Oil Based semi-transparent deck stain for my coatin, picked up a gallon for $5.00, it was a mark down special. just want some input before I start ordering things that cant be returned. Thanks guys.

There is a lot of trial and error with cloth.  Nobody makes a cloth for our purposes, so Jeff has basically been experimenting to make sure what he offers works.  If it is treated it is quite possible that this will keep paint from properly penetrating and blocking the weave and making it waterproof.

As to paint, I would say the stain will not work.  It has no where near enough solids.  Play around with a sample if you think it is worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question about the Fabric. I am going to build the Stonefly from your first book. In your store you have the 8 oz poly which is 6 oz, your 6 oz that you really don't recommend and the new 6 oz tight weave poly. I would think the. best to use would be the last one, but if you can't shrink it, will it work for a newbie to get the wrinkles out that I am afraid will show up?

Best way to skin a canoe is use a set of canvas pliers and staple the skin in place, then cover it with a nice looking rub rail to hide the staples.  Brass rub strips on the ends. With just a little care you will just very minimal distortion.

Either fabric will work but the original has the loose weave so you can shift it around and it does conform to irregular shapes better than the others. But either one will work, just have to take you time and not be afraid to redo your mistakes.... you will make some!