New Bow Structure

Kennneee

Finished the planking on the OB26 last week. Been a busy few months! Ready for lots of fairing and sanding, fiberglassing, paint and then flip her over for pilothouse and interior construction. A "new home" for the boat in the form of a Bow Structure" was just finished and is ready for the boat after it is flipped over and the van is kicked out. Time for a break to find some sun and let my carpal tunnel heal!

More pics of the building process if your interested.
https://goo.gl/photos/42vU3BKQDsnMxbPp9

post-5613-0-73308100-1482907215_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-69307300-1482907338_thumb.jpg

post-5613-0-33451200-1482907396_thumb.jpg

Don,

I found this product online and it sounds good. I have lots of trees nearby so I will find out if it holds up. Seems pretty tough.

http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/products/greenhouse-supplies/greenhouse-plastic/agtec-super-strength-clear-woven-greenhouse-film-12mil-per-sq-ft-detail

Good luck.

Cheers,

Ken

That polyethylene stuff is pretty good and fairly stable. It doesn't hold up that well if allowed to flap around, but if it's dogged down good, it does hold up well. Fastener penatrations need to be considered, as would any seams, but not hard to do, with plenty of these "bow roof" building around to prove it.

That's a really cool structure.  I have a need for some covered storage space as well and I suppose this is an option for me. 

My only concern is that there isn't much UV resistance with polyethylene sheathing.  The winter months of our CS17 build was done in a greenhouse and any ply that was exposed to the sunlight had a noticeable discoloration.

• 2 weeks later...