Possible SOF sailing Bateau

Kudzu

Thought I toss this out for any input anyone might have. As you may know I build Fuselage Frame/Skin on Frame boats. I have focused on kayaks but have wanted to offer other types of boats. A small sailboat has been high on my list for some time and I think it is time to seriously look at this.

My goal is to the use the KISS plan(keep it simple stupid)  as much as practical  That means I need a small boat, free standing rig. I like traditional looking boats and I looked seriously at Whitehall style hulls.  But I found lines for the Seaside Bateau and she seems like she might be a better choice.. It's 15 ft and about the right width for the fabric I have available.

I stated by creating a file of the existing design. It has a swing keel/centerboard, I am thinking of replacing that with a removable centerboard . It simplifies the design and probably saves a little weight. Even so, I do like a swinging board for convenience of beaching or getting hung in all the weeds we have. I did add a chine underwater. With the skin covering it really needless of span so the fabric can better hold its shape but otherwise stayed very close to the original to start with.

Biggest concern is the sail. It's reasonable to assume the hull will no more than 100 lbs ready to go.The original lines did not show the sail plan but based on what I have seen in similar boats I am thinking that I am probably looking at no more than 75 sq ft of sail.  Probably some sort of Gaff or lug sail to keep the sail as low as possible. The only real ballast will be me.

Seaside Bateau.PDF

What's the idea for seating?

Peace,

Robert

No idea yet. Haven't gotten that far.

Just a thought. You said it had a swing keel, which indicates that it was heavy and probably acted as ballast. The waterline looks pretty narrow, so I'd expect her to be pretty tender, and with a skin-on frame boat, this would be enhanced. 

I assume that originally the keel was solid wood, not metal. But with the lightweight hull and narrowness I am concerned about it's tenderness too. Of course I am not committed to the hull shape as is. I figured it was best to start with  the existing and then go from there. Might even go another direction all together.

That shape would work fairly well as a rower, but not so much as a sailor. Consider making the garboards wider and/or the second strake narrower, to gain some power and bearing area. Barndoor rudders are simple, but don't do well in a rough slosh or if experiencing some serious heel. In fact, they're known to lose their grip, just when you'd prefer it not to. I'd go with a kickup. Lastly the portion of the centerboard not getting immersed, doesn't need to be in the boat. I usually use about 1/4 of the total board area, as the amount left in the boat (inside the case). No sense carrying along something that you don't need. Work out your global loading, as they rise seemingly exponentially, once the boat's volume goes up.

Thanks for the input. Some of those things I was all ready considering. I just wanted to start with the existing before I started changing much.

This boat was used in the Chincoteguea Bay area around turn of the century onward and I happen to know that area. Lots of shallow water and oyster beds so I am guessing that is the reason for the rudder. Kayaking there can be interesting, especially at low tides. The centerboard struck me as odd though.

• 4 weeks later...