Camp-Cruising in an Open Boat

Don Silsbe

Chick, I'd like my first camp-cruising adventure to be without an audience.  A friend or two, perhaps, but not a crowd.  Besides, Devil's Fork is not exactly a good place for a messabout.  In fact, I'm not sure about the shoreline of the island where the campsites are.  I "assume" it's sandy, but this is a mountain lake.  It could easily be rocks, like most of the shoreline there.  (There are a few beaches, though, so who knows?)  Before we have a thundering hoard of people showing up for a good time, I think we should check it out first.  The regular (not the boat-in) campsites are all about 100' up above the rocky shoreline, by the way.

Agreed. But we wanna watch any dumb thing you do so we can laugh at ya... (Just kidding). No "thundering heard". (Hey, wasn't there a big band leader that called his band the "Thundering heard"? Oh, yeah, Woody Herman and his Thundering Heard.).

Anyway, I was thinking more of just you and me  and maybe another local or two that would probably come just for a day. Debbie and I rode down there awhile back to check out the campground. We had the Breeze with us and spent a couple of hours on the lake. There was a LONG line of folks at the ramp. Get-'er-in QUICK, and rig in the water. NO TIME OR ROOM to rig on the trailer. This was on a holiday weekend, though. 

This was his theme song. Pretty cool. Or at least some of us old duffers think so.