HighDesert

Utah OB20

Carter- So sorry to hear of your mishap!!  I guess a little break from boat building is in order.  Hope you heal quickly and can get back on your project soon!

Ken

Damn, everyone's getting hurt or falling ill, just at the time when spring is here and things can get done and splashed. Get rest, lots of it and she'll happily be waiting for 'ya, when you're better.

Thanks guys.  I feel your love.

I jammed the ball into the hip socket pretty hard, but the break at the femur is "non-displaced", so the only treatment is stay off it.  Not easy, as you might suspect, but I'm a month and a half into it and hoping for just one more month.  The doctor and my wife are both pretty strong willed females, so I don't expect to be cutting any corners.  

In my case, falling is not necessarily bad balance...it's purely bad judgment and lack of attention.  Historically, I have been able to get away with dusting my self off, giving my wife a grin and telling her something like, "Heck, I was a paratrooper.  We were trained to do that".  If at one time she thought that was cute, or amusing, I think it's wearing pretty thin now.

IMG_0717.JPG

Your wife’s look says it all!  (I think we’ve all gotten “that look” from our ever-lovin’ at one time or another.). Get well, and don’t push it!  That pretty boat of yours will wait.  

It's been about three months since I last posted after my fall from the loft in the garage/broken hip incident.  I'm pretty much healed up now and back to my regular routine.  I've been able to spend most of the last of a couple of weeks working on the OB20 and have gotten the hull glassed.  A nice milestone. 

I noticed that during my recuperation, I was awarded "Advanced Member" status.  It reminds me of the day in Vietnam that our Battalion Commander came out for a field visit and just before flying off promoted me from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant.  I said, "Thank you, sir. What did I do to deserve that?".  He said, "Nothing son, keep up the good work".  

As we all know, the trouble with amateur boatbuilding is life keeps getting in the way.  This time for me, it's wildfire. 

I believe it may have been on the national news (Dollar Ridge Fire in Wasatch and Duchesne Counties, Utah). but it's certainly big news here and very close to our cabin, shop and my OB20.  Not to mention a bunch of other people's properties.   Last count was about 100 homes lost, several hundred firefighters on the job, lots of aircraft, only 4% containment, 50,000 acres burned so far, high temperatures, no humidity, high and shifting winds, etc..  Pretty scary.  We evacuated yesterday (the fourth day of the fire) to our home near Salt Lake City to get out of the way of the professionals.  All part of the risks we assume when we live in, or near, the wildlands, I guess.  The photo below makes it look much worse than it actually is, but it's still super scary.

Another, no so frightening, obstacle to boatbuilding has been a small camper trailer I have been working on.  It's a teardrop trailer kit from Chesapeake Light Craft.  I characteristically thought I could toss it together while I built the OB20.  So far, it's been about two years for both of them and...well, you know.  It's a great kit that any boatbuilder can appreciate and we're anxious to go camping in it some day.  It goes together via stitch and glue in a female mold.  Fun and interesting.  There are some brilliant people working in this business and John C. Harris is one of them.

image.png.09eff11707f53507ef876955f6ba7c7d.pngimage.png.b51b41e06874b25f9ac51c321d6d8262.pngimage.png.6bf2bc4ab0223bac4f03d2f288a05556.pngIMG_0165.JPG.95ea5554491db307e5f7b790ce3d9dac.JPGIMG_0476.JPG.85ea67d7c56bcc72b24da0f1f896ecab.JPGIMG_0161.JPG.a88072ffefb250c0e2841a4ed1874fd9.JPG

Hello gentlemen,

I have a question regarding fiberglass fill coats.  Up to now, I have been able to apply subsequent coats of epoxy twenty-four hours, or so, after the previous coats and achieve a chemical bond. On account of my broken leg hiatus, most of my project has had a few months to cure.  I've read that a "light sanding" is required between coats, if the resin has cured, to get a good mechanical bond. 

So the question is...how much is enough?   As you can see from the photos, I have knocked the tops off the resin at the bumpy parts of the fiberglass weave.  It seems funny to me that it would be okay to give it tooth in some spots, but leave it shiny in others...but I'm hoping that's the technique.  Any help would be appreciated.

Carter

image.png.f4107b5cd4a03efa679f41d942d24a3b.png

image.png.456fce01d3f742dc3006c5d4252531e1.png

Carter, 

Keep on sanding. Those shiny spots (if well cured) will not stick well to the next coats of epoxy. I wouldn't worry about accidentally sanding a bit into the glass on the large flat areas but around the chine and any joints I would sand as minimally as possible to maintain the glass fibers over the joint. In a perfect world, all the glass weave is filled with coats of epoxy or slathered with epoxy+microspheres mixture while the glass/epoxy is still within the curing window but sometimes you just can't. 

If there is a spot where you feel the glass just isn't there anymore you can just put a patch over it and fair it in with the primer coats. 

-Alan

Got it.  Thanks, guys.

I mentioned earlier that I have completed a couple of simple, stitch and glue kit boats and have picked up a few skills, but am pretty much in awe of this OB20 project I have take on.  It's going slow for all the usual reasons, but it's going good.  The hull is glassed with no wrinkles, bubbles, starved fabric, runs or pooled epoxy.  I'm very happy with it so far and looking forward to some serious fairing.

Your comments and advice are truly appreciated.

Carter