Utah OB20

HighDesert

Its finally Spring in Utah and time to move this boat out of the shop and onto a trailer.  It has been on a building jig with casters, so moving it about is easy and I have chain hoists in the shop.  Unfortunately, hoisting it high enough to get it on a trailer makes it too tall for the overhead door.  We pulled it out of the shop on planks and then tackled the problem of hoisting it outside. 

image.jpeg.859bcdc318905f0551fed10b765e2b92.jpeg

image.jpeg.f4c6f116b401d7f7304a4a3f812d35d6.jpeg

To make a long story a little shorter, I considered and rejected all kinds of ideas before settling on a contraption I thought I had invented.  After sketching it up, I recognized my creation and realized someone had already invented the Gantry crane.  We've all seen them in industrial settings.  I built one for each end of the boat out of wood.  They only had to be high and wide enough to get the trailer under the boat.

image.jpeg.e5ca1210c4ceacc260d4f7be4996f6cd.jpeg

image.jpeg.51a6592aad970ddf9432fc87c38341b9.jpeg

image.jpeg.b012eeb033ab419a8fbb0a8540bd0cb3.jpeg

The boat isn't nearly finished yet, but once on the trailer, I couldn't resist taking her on a field trip.  We spent quite a bit of time working on the waterline painting and I have been anxious to see how she will sit on her lines.  I suppose its cheating, but I read that Sam Devlin does a private "Builder's Launch" before delivering boats to clients.  I called my sneaky little trip to the water a "Float Test".  

image.jpeg.f1e039bb3a6ef77aab1ec731d73826d9.jpeg

image.jpeg.69f822c6a28310a84a438ebec1685b44.jpeg

It turns out she floats just fine.

image.jpeg.49b0465836557e8bd41d331f0a93ee3a.jpeg

Now, back to work...some electrical, trimwork, rubrails, etc..

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Dave. I was torn between a dark or light hull and happy with the white. Happy with the whole journey, so far. 

Oops, it looks like I inadvertently posted doubles of that sketch. That seems to happen frequently to me on this website. 

Carter- That is a gorgeous boat!  Congrats on a quality build. Soon you get to reap the rewards of all of the dust, work and thinking that went into this creation.  I hope you are deservedly full of pride when you look at her.  Name?

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Thanks guys.
Now that she’s seen a little freedom, I think it’s going to be difficult to keep her on the farm until she’s 100% ready.  
Ken, I’ve struggled with a name. I’ll probably just stick with HighDesert. It’s entirely appropriate plus, although I’d love to use your sweet (and very wise) boat naming strategy, there are just too many deserving females in my life. 

• 1 month later...

I could use some advice regarding insurance. 

My auto and homeowner insurance company (USAA) does not offer boat insurance.  They referred me to Progressive, who doesn't seem to like kit boats. I tried to another company, but they didn't like the idea that the hull is primarily wood, even though it is sheathed with fiberglass and epoxy resin inside and out.  I tried to word 'composite' on the agent, but only got several seconds of dead air.  Surely, there is a company that will write policies for our boats. 

Am I being too forthcoming?  Would it be accurate to call the Outer Banks series fiberglass boats?  Insurance companies seem to be more comfortable with them.  On the other hand, as I think about new tactics, I'm realizing that liability is my main concern and not so much damage to my boat as I would be the person to repair almost any damage the boat might incur.

Your thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Paul356 said:

I just got coverage on a "kit"/composite thru progressive, but liability and rescue only, not property damage.  I.e., no payment for loss if the boat is damaged.  Not sure if that helps you.  It was all on line.

Property damage is for the damage you do to other property.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 22' home built plywood/ fiberglass boat with coverage from American Family. The policy is mainly for property damage to others and liability for injuries

to others or my passengers. The coverage on the boat is for "actual cash value" which probably translates to "not much". The liability limits are 500k and the annual premium is $168. I think the significant factor in determining the rate is horsepower of the motor.

• Like 1