Princess Sharpie builders

Greg Luckett

Yes, an experienced sailmaker needs the dimensions, shape of the roach, the location of the reefing cringles and a photo of an p22 sail, that he can notice, that it is a sprit not a classic marconi-boom that gives the shape.
He must know, that the sprit is poked through the cringle at the clew for beefing up the corner of the sail a little bit.
It will be good to give him information what kind of masttrack you will use. 
This link may help him for understanding your needs better:
http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/why-a-cat-ketch/
Perhaps, before you can talk with Graham about if battens or not?

• Like 1

On the P22 it is a fold out, "just one page". But what a page. I had read Marino's Sailmakers Appretice, so I had an idea of what I was in for. All the info I needed was on that page. I estimated materials and ordered from Sailrite. I had fun doing them. Probably not for everyone, but I had reasons. In general, Paul has it right.

• Like 1

HI Guys,

I sewed the sails for my boat using a regular sewing machine that I picked up used and a Sailrite kit.   I didn't trust myself with designing the sail myself since shape is so critical.  If I was a production sailmaker, there's no way I would tolerate the regular jams and snags that I encountered, but we got the job done.   For about the first 1/2 of the project I tried very hard not to put any little white creases in the nice dacron sailcloth, carefully rolling and clothespinning sail material to pass through the gap between the needle and the body of the machine.  A cardboard tube, like from a carpet roll, would have been helpful to control all that cloth.  Eventually, I gave up on trying to make it pristine.  Less stress, more fun.   

Bob

I have sewn through several layers of 1000D cordura on my Husqvarna.  It's not a commercial sewing machine.  If you get denim needles and lubrication for the needles, I imagine you wouldn't need a heavy duty Sailrite sewing machine to make a sail.  

I'm probably going to try to make a Sunbrella boat cover with my sewing machine with Sunbrella bought off Sailrite. 

Thought I might throw this out as an interesting aside. A while back, I had a guy make me a lug sail for my Spindrift 10n. He is a well known small craft designer and sail maker. I asked if he would be interested in making the sales for my Princess and the answer was a flat NO.

He said to get a loft to do it.

• 4 weeks later...