Mary Edith (Core Sound News)

Joe

Not all news is good all the time. Followers of this board know that I launched my CS-17 this spring, and looked forward to a wonderful summer of sailing. Murphy has interveined. Last week I took Mary Edith to my favorite sailing site and proceeded to rig up for a day on the bay. The wind was fifteen, gusting to twenty. unfortuntely, one of those gust occurred as I was stepping my main mast, calling on me to exirt more than usual effort. Snap, crackle and pop, and my sixty four year old left rotor cup gave way. I am having a MRI in the morning with surgery schudled the following week. ##@$%$###$ anyway. Old men need to be more careful about such things. If I ever get old, I certainly will! Meanwhile you will forgive me if I am ticked off.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, it's kind of hard to rig up the boat with only one arm. Maybe the sailing gods will look down with mercy and assign a youngster to help get you back on the water. Take it easy and don't overdo it ...

Go ahead and be mad, you've got the right

"Time heals all wounds"

Roger

What bad luck Joe. :( This rotator cuff thing is tricky. Hopefully, the Drs. will have you back to sailing again soon. It might be a good idea to get a little help while you are sailing after the surgery - especially with the heavy bits, like the rigging.

There is a device for the Norwalk Sharpies that some owners have devised, and it allows them to lift and guide the mast into the hole without so much effort (albeit that is a much bigger mast)...maybe we should all look into some adaption of that idea for us over the mound gang! (Well we won't admit to being over the hill yet, will we???).

Wishing you good luck for the MRI tomorrow.

Joe,

I feel for you; the pain, physical and mental, must be a heavy. Wishing you all the best and speedy recovery.

I often struggled stepping the mast on my last boat and wondered how best to do it. Is it better to lay it near horizontal, get a corner stuck in the hole and standing aft in the boat walk it up? Or is it better to get it vertical with the end on the bottom of the boat and then move in the vertical position up to the step hole? Both ways can be a struggle especially for a slightly small person like me. I ended up adding a board just forward of the hole to help me stop the forward end while I walked it up but the board above the deck level looked bad.

Hope you find some stepping help this summer.

Guest Anonymous

i haven't yet had the pleasure of steppin the masts on my CS17, but my last boat was a catboat with a similar arrangement as the mast was free standing and forward in the boat. This mast was heavier and shorter than those of the CS17 and I used to stand on the foredeck right behind the mast hole and lift the mast up and drop it in. Did this while the boat was still on the trailer of course. Might try that with this boat, however I noticed the Bay River skiff masts being stepped and they were done right from the ground. Slightly smaller masts and probably a bit lighter. Strong winds would be a factor to contend with. Bill

I'm very sorry to hear about your shoulder. I hope your sailing again soon.

With my CS 17 I stand the mast up next to the trailer, with the sail wrapped around it, and just lift the whole thing into place. Then I remove it, lay it down and attach the wind indicator that I always forget. Then I put it up again. It helps that I'm 6-2, and although I,m not terribly strong, I am quite handsome.

I had one of those Norwalk Island Sharpies .. a 26 footer and spent a lot of mental energy etc in mast raising. I would be happy to describe the process in detail if someone wants.

It would work well on a core sound as you used a mizzen down through the cabin hatch with a set of "parrell" or wooden beads on a lasoo. This then acted as a gantry to steady the main mast as you and two of your biggest mates helped lift the mast up and into the mast tube. Bloody hard work. It revolved around making sure the mizzen could not move... In my case had to remove the toilet, instal a custom piece of wood, lash the base etc.. Very drawn out and if it was windy more so.

The trouble with the core sound is that the mizzen is similar to the main, but there is nothing stopping you having a 3rd 'mast' to use as this lifting crane. You would leave it on the bank.

Rob