Stuff Happens

Joe Anderson

post-491-0-68795800-1472862483_thumb.jpg

I felt like it would be a good idea to intentionally capsize my boat in a controlled environment so I could practice righting the boat. I also wanted to observe to see if there were any modifications I could make to insure that the boat was stable when it was knocked over and I would be able to right the boat.

I kept putting this little chore off. I didn't want to break anything. I did not have anyone to help me. I did not want to injury myself or someone else.

My nephew was visiting, there was no wind so we decided to give it a go. We both gained some confidence learned a few things and had some fun. And nothing got broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y19ckyZNgI

• Like 3

Alex,

That is one pretty Spindrift 12.

I have done it in the conditions that you describe while sailing alone in a EC22. It was pretty much as Joe showed only quicker as I was not posing for the camera, there was no one fool enough to be out there to catch it. The only difference was that I did not walk out to the end of the board. I sat right down and slid my butt out to the end of the board with my legs wrapped around and under. I have done it three times in real conditions.

I have not done it on a CS in real conditions. Alan and Paul have but they have a cabin on their CS 20.

What makes it so easy is that there is enough volume above the water in the cabin that prevents from the boat from inverting or water getting inside the boat. This allows the crew to climb up the windward side using the coaming, cockpit side, mast and cabin as steps. I made a rope and PVC ladder like the one on the Spindrift 12 a few posts ago which is pretty important if you want to get aboard after she is righted.

Good job Joe.

Alex - I've done it in real conditions in a CS17 but I was too busy righting the boat to take pictures (and my camera was out of reach under water at the time).  It was quite unfortunate that I was taking video up until about a minute before I rolled the boat, but I turned it off because I thought I had already recorded all the fun times - I simply didn't realize I was about to roll the boat (Aaak!)  Since I had the camera mounted on the mizzen mast the video would have been pretty cool, but alas, it was not to be.  In my case I managed to barrel-roll the boat in what seemed like a few milliseconds.  Subjective timing aside, the boat was rolled 180 degrees accidentally in real conditions and recovered, even though I didn't build my seat hatches to B and B standards (follow their instructions, don't reproduce my mistakes).  I had to do a bit (okay, a lot) more bailing than I would have if my seat hatches were up to snuff.

I don't think you'll ever see video from me of a boat in really challenging conditions, not because the boat can't handle it but simply because I've got more important things to do than fiddle with a camera.

• Like 1

Graham

Thanks for the tip about sitting down on the centerboard. I have felt uncomfortable walking out on the board in real conditions because of the buffeting of the wind and the motion of the boat. Somehow it never occurred to me to just sit down. DUH!  I imagine you may have to be more careful of staying clear of the hull as it slams down. I will try sitting next time the opportunity presents itself.

Ken

I had forgotten that you have recovered from a 180. Did you give the details in an earlier post?

Alex

Why do you want someone to post a video of a CS capsize and recovery in 20-30 knot wind? There is a significant amount of anecdotal evidence that recovery in those conditions is possible and the technique is similar to what is documented for flat water condition. Is there something you hope to learn from the more realistic video or just the certainty that  seeing is believing. I would document a recovery in more realistic conditions but the logistics and risks involved are not insignificant. The purpose of posting the videos such as they are is to encourage fellow boaters to explore the limits of their boats and themselves in controlled conditions. I think it is prudent to discover where those limits are before venturing into open water.

I am a little envious of the young sailors I see that have grown up sailing at a high level and can crash and recover in strong conditions without thinking much of it.

Many years ago when I was learning to roll my kayak I watched videos of rolls in big whitewater and staged rolls in swimming pools. I learned absolutely nothing from watching experts roll in class V rapids except people can do some crazy stuff. I learned quite a bit watching the swimming pool rolls, but 99% of the learning occurred upside down in my boat, at first in a swimming pool and then step by step in more and more difficult conditions.

• Like 1

Great now please someone go and do it in 25 to 30 knots of wind to show a realistic capsize and righting, Youtube is full of staged ones, I want to see someone in a Coresound series boat do it for real.

No one is going to stage something like this on purpose, or for your entertainment.  And I doubt anyone who has had to do it in actuality will have had a videographer handy.  Feel free to conduct the exercise yourself.

• Like 1

Graham

Thanks for the tip about sitting down on the centerboard. I have felt uncomfortable walking out on the board in real conditions because of the buffeting of the wind and the motion of the boat. Somehow it never occurred to me to just sit down. DUH!  I imagine you may have to be more careful of staying clear of the hull as it slams down. I will try sitting next time the opportunity presents itself.

Ken

I had forgotten that you have recovered from a 180. Did you give the details in an earlier post?

Alex

Why do you want someone to post a video of a CS capsize and recovery in 20-30 knot wind? There is a significant amount of anecdotal evidence that recovery in those conditions is possible and the technique is similar to what is documented for flat water condition. Is there something you hope to learn from the more realistic video or just the certainty that  seeing is believing. I would document a recovery in more realistic conditions but the logistics and risks involved are not insignificant. The purpose of posting the videos such as they are is to encourage fellow boaters to explore the limits of their boats and themselves in controlled conditions. I think it is prudent to discover where those limits are before venturing into open water.

I am a little envious of the young sailors I see that have grown up sailing at a high level and can crash and recover in strong conditions without thinking much of it.

Many years ago when I was learning to roll my kayak I watched videos of rolls in big whitewater and staged rolls in swimming pools. I learned absolutely nothing from watching experts roll in class V rapids except people can do some crazy stuff. I learned quite a bit watching the swimming pool rolls, but 99% of the learning occurred upside down in my boat, at first in a swimming pool and then step by step in more and more difficult conditions.

I learned to roll in the pool, too! I still launch every kayak I build in grandmas pool, just for the ceremonial effect.

Peace,

Robert

The controlled tests are the way to go. It is a bit late to be out on your own to find that you cannot get back on board, or find some other issue.

They made a movie where everyone went for a swim during a calm, only to find that the freeboard was too high and the sides were too slick to climb. They all perished except the baby who was left on board. I think that it was called "Overboard". 

Joe, you certainly have to be aware of the chine coning at you but it seems to be slow enough that I never found it to be a problem. I do not waste any time getting to the stern as the boat could get away from you if you tarry.

Alex - I've done it in real conditions in a CS17 but I was too busy righting the boat to take pictures (and my camera was out of reach under water at the time).  It was quite unfortunate that I was taking video up until about a minute before I rolled the boat, but I turned it off because I thought I had already recorded all the fun times - I simply didn't realize I was about to roll the boat (Aaak!)  Since I had the camera mounted on the mizzen mast the video would have been pretty cool, but alas, it was not to be.  In my case I managed to barrel-roll the boat in what seemed like a few milliseconds.  Subjective timing aside, the boat was rolled 180 degrees accidentally in real conditions and recovered, even though I didn't build my seat hatches to B and B standards (follow their instructions, don't reproduce my mistakes).  I had to do a bit (okay, a lot) more bailing than I would have if my seat hatches were up to snuff.

I don't think you'll ever see video from me of a boat in really challenging conditions, not because the boat can't handle it but simply because I've got more important things to do than fiddle with a camera.

Dude. Crazy. Makes me so happy I backed into owning one of these boats. Oh, and the seat hatches ARE marvelous designs. I've been studying my plans. Lots of brains in there!

Peace,

Robert

Here it is Joe - The title of the post is "Honda outboard warranty" :)

There are some posts from Ray missing from the discussion so some of it doesn't make sense, but there was originally an exchange in there about oars vs motors.

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/6030-honda-outboard-warranty/?hl=honda

Good times...

Ah the Good Old Days. I enjoyed rereading that thread. I did skim a bit of it,but I think I take things way too seriously.

Sounds like a great plot for an Indie film. If we could put together some funding, you could fly back from down under. We could hire a film crew.  I am not sure what Alan has done with Southbound but we could make a mock up in no time. We could even use a clip of your archival footage.

Yes we will blame it all on the motor.

Alan has vastly improved Southbound in every respect except color.  She used to shine with the color of a summer sunrise but now she's as pale as the fog on a cold winter's day.

The motor has also found it's way back to Southbound, I think.  The fresh-water dunking didn't destroy it and when I moved away I sold the motor to Dawn and Paul for use on Dawn Patrol and I seem to remember that they eventually sold it to Alan.

Nobody needs film crews any more.  We just need to staple a bunch of go pros to the boat and crew.  I'd do it here, but I'm sailing a keel-boat now so everything happens in slow motion :)

My dad and I flipped the CS20 in about 20 knots. (sorry no video) during the BBC I think 2 years ago. We had 1/2 centerboard down gong through some shallows and did a tack too fast and overshot a bit and boom over it went. My Dad went swimming but I managed to swing over the top right on to the side of the hull that was now up in the air thanks to dinghy racing reflexes (not sure how I did it really). To my HORROR I watched the centerboard swing back into the boat as she settled on the bouancy of the cabin and masts. 

Fortunately we have a keel strip but the dang thing is only 7/8" wide with the hollow back on. My toes have never clung so hard to a piece of wood and I tried to channel my inner rock climber skills. I figured I had one shot with my leatherman pliers to grab the CB and get it out. Of course I had forgot to tie off the leatherman when I packed it in my lifejacket so as punishment, i had to use it over water with one chance if it went flying out of my hand. 

Anyway, I clung to the keel hand on the chine and started to reach down for the board when the boat started to right itself. She flipped back up right with full sail in 20 knots and the CB completely up and just me standing on the keel strip. I was amazed and relieved. My dad was floating at the stern the whole time. I almost lost my leatherman from being startled that the boat was righting as I was hunched on the keel. 

Show me someone doing that on any other boat and I'll be impressed. I guess I'll have to do a video and prove it. 

-Alan

• Like 1