Kennneee

Outer Banks 26 #1

Hi Guys- A bit more progress on Rosie. Most of the exterior painting is complete which makes me happy. Still some non skid and door to paint, etc.  I installed the glass in the windshield yesterday and will order the plastic for the windows this week.  Hope to have her sealed up before the end of October when I will take a break for a couple of months of travel.  

I have a lot of the components for the electrical system which I look forward to doing. I like that kind of work.  The steering station and seating is put together but needs to be finished.  I feel like I am going in 10 directions at the same time jumping between projects. 

I have been having fun with the bi-fold pilot house door.  Originally planned on a slider but Graham drew a beautiful arch for the bulkhead which would have made a slider difficult.  Couldn’t bring myself to cut a square corner for a slider so the bi-fold was the answer. So far, I like the way the bi-fold works and folds neatly against the bulkhead. Just have to come up with some ideas for latching, locking, etc. Any ideas from the peanut gallery appreciated.

cheers,

Ken

262AD5AE-1892-41BF-A2B7-53C414AD6C77.jpeg

A3C0C109-EBBA-4AEB-85DC-061CC4D22A4C.jpeg

14AC3D5A-D93E-4024-9B6C-77998A7311B9.jpeg

499EA6A8-A2FC-4FDB-B24A-7B25CCFE791A.jpeg

E325B39F-FF76-411D-93D0-59EFE0694BB3.jpeg

88507422-884F-4F07-8448-85DD513ABAEC.jpeg

B5BF55B9-0CCB-43B9-BB79-8CE12F237687.jpeg

3575E968-8481-4D11-8B22-2A6DA2251747.jpeg

4E1199D3-B2B6-4C17-9F8A-076571518DBD.jpeg

FF5D3851-1CEC-41F8-B981-21A045D854ED.jpeg

I have been on this and the Bluejacket site for around 2 years.  I must say that seeing the caliber of work that gets posted encourages and inspires me.  Getting kudos from this group means a lot. Thanks.

That is really becoming a beautiful boat.  The bi-fold door is a nice solution.  You might be able to use a sliding door lock the way your door opens.  I used a Southco lock on my sliding door.  However latching at an angle like your door opens might be a problem for those locks.

Egbert

There is nothing wrong with using a screen door latch connected to the side seat to the hook on the face of the folding door. Then all you need is a hook and latch set up [that's a heavy Velcro type material if you are not familiar with it] on the two panels secured to the inside of the two panels that will hold the  door together when opened.

That boat is going to be a real head turner. Good job...

2 minutes ago, Oyster said:

There is nothing wrong with using a screen door latch connected to the side seat to the hook on the face of the folding door. Then all you need is a hook and latch set up [that's a heavy Velcro type material if you are not familiar with it] on the two panels secured to the inside of the two panels that will hold the  door together when opened. I also see nothing wrong with using a slide bolt at the top of the one panel to the underside mounted the overhang on a block at the junction of the hinged section of the two adjoining panels.

That boat is going to be a real head turner. Good job...

Egbert and Mike- Thanks for the suggestions.  The 3 issues are keeping the door closed and locked, keeping the 2 panels together when closed and securing the door when open.  Even with the door closed and latched there needs to be a way to keep the panels together or it would be easy to pull on the center where the 2 panels meet and force the door open.

I think I will have to make up a custom latch which will mount on the port side door trim.  It will have a shaft that passes through the trim and can be turned from inside or out.  A piece of flat stock will be on the outside and can be rotated to prevent the door from being opened. On the outside the flat stock will have a loop that will align with a loop on the door and be used to padlock it closed when away from the boat.  Egbert,  those Southco latches look slick but I don't think they will work in this application.  I wish they would, don't need to re-invent the latch...

Keeping the 2 panels together is a bit less complicated but there can't be anything protruding very far on the inside of the doors or they won't be able to fold flat.  I like the idea of hook and loop material.  I have used a 3M product called Dual Lock for years which is amazingly strong.  Hadn't thought of that as an option, thanks Mike. Rare earth magnets????? I also thought of a slide bolt mortised into the inside of the doors which would solve the protrusion problem.

Keeping the door open is the least difficult.  The idea of a screen door latch is simple and would work well.  Rare earth magnets keep coming up during those monkey mind idea sessions. It is just a door!! Some people invite complexity into simple things.......

Any more input/ideas appreciated.

Ken

Ken,

I thought that it would be cool to make a wooden latch to hold the door open. Here is my first draft. It would latch automatically, and to release, you reach to just below the seat and bend it to starboard.

I would make it out of a springy tough wood like ash.  I would put on a thin stainless striker plate on the door so that it would not wear your varnish.

Door catch.jpg

Graham- I really like the idea.  I think I would mount it on the bulkhead a bit higher up. Less bending over...

Ken