Outer Banks 26 #1

Kennneee

Hi Guys- A bit more progress on Rosie. Most of the exterior painting is complete which makes me happy. Still some non skid and door to paint, etc.  I installed the glass in the windshield yesterday and will order the plastic for the windows this week.  Hope to have her sealed up before the end of October when I will take a break for a couple of months of travel.  

I have a lot of the components for the electrical system which I look forward to doing. I like that kind of work.  The steering station and seating is put together but needs to be finished.  I feel like I am going in 10 directions at the same time jumping between projects. 

I have been having fun with the bi-fold pilot house door.  Originally planned on a slider but Graham drew a beautiful arch for the bulkhead which would have made a slider difficult.  Couldn’t bring myself to cut a square corner for a slider so the bi-fold was the answer. So far, I like the way the bi-fold works and folds neatly against the bulkhead. Just have to come up with some ideas for latching, locking, etc. Any ideas from the peanut gallery appreciated.

cheers,

Ken

262AD5AE-1892-41BF-A2B7-53C414AD6C77.jpeg

A3C0C109-EBBA-4AEB-85DC-061CC4D22A4C.jpeg

14AC3D5A-D93E-4024-9B6C-77998A7311B9.jpeg

499EA6A8-A2FC-4FDB-B24A-7B25CCFE791A.jpeg

E325B39F-FF76-411D-93D0-59EFE0694BB3.jpeg

88507422-884F-4F07-8448-85DD513ABAEC.jpeg

B5BF55B9-0CCB-43B9-BB79-8CE12F237687.jpeg

3575E968-8481-4D11-8B22-2A6DA2251747.jpeg

4E1199D3-B2B6-4C17-9F8A-076571518DBD.jpeg

FF5D3851-1CEC-41F8-B981-21A045D854ED.jpeg

That is really becoming a beautiful boat.  The bi-fold door is a nice solution.  You might be able to use a sliding door lock the way your door opens.  I used a Southco lock on my sliding door.  However latching at an angle like your door opens might be a problem for those locks.

Egbert

There is nothing wrong with using a screen door latch connected to the side seat to the hook on the face of the folding door. Then all you need is a hook and latch set up [that's a heavy Velcro type material if you are not familiar with it] on the two panels secured to the inside of the two panels that will hold the  door together when opened.

That boat is going to be a real head turner. Good job...

2 minutes ago, Oyster said:

There is nothing wrong with using a screen door latch connected to the side seat to the hook on the face of the folding door. Then all you need is a hook and latch set up [that's a heavy Velcro type material if you are not familiar with it] on the two panels secured to the inside of the two panels that will hold the  door together when opened. I also see nothing wrong with using a slide bolt at the top of the one panel to the underside mounted the overhang on a block at the junction of the hinged section of the two adjoining panels.

That boat is going to be a real head turner. Good job...

Egbert and Mike- Thanks for the suggestions.  The 3 issues are keeping the door closed and locked, keeping the 2 panels together when closed and securing the door when open.  Even with the door closed and latched there needs to be a way to keep the panels together or it would be easy to pull on the center where the 2 panels meet and force the door open.

I think I will have to make up a custom latch which will mount on the port side door trim.  It will have a shaft that passes through the trim and can be turned from inside or out.  A piece of flat stock will be on the outside and can be rotated to prevent the door from being opened. On the outside the flat stock will have a loop that will align with a loop on the door and be used to padlock it closed when away from the boat.  Egbert,  those Southco latches look slick but I don't think they will work in this application.  I wish they would, don't need to re-invent the latch...

Keeping the 2 panels together is a bit less complicated but there can't be anything protruding very far on the inside of the doors or they won't be able to fold flat.  I like the idea of hook and loop material.  I have used a 3M product called Dual Lock for years which is amazingly strong.  Hadn't thought of that as an option, thanks Mike. Rare earth magnets????? I also thought of a slide bolt mortised into the inside of the doors which would solve the protrusion problem.

Keeping the door open is the least difficult.  The idea of a screen door latch is simple and would work well.  Rare earth magnets keep coming up during those monkey mind idea sessions. It is just a door!! Some people invite complexity into simple things.......

Any more input/ideas appreciated.

Ken

Ken,

I thought that it would be cool to make a wooden latch to hold the door open. Here is my first draft. It would latch automatically, and to release, you reach to just below the seat and bend it to starboard.

I would make it out of a springy tough wood like ash.  I would put on a thin stainless striker plate on the door so that it would not wear your varnish.

Door catch.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ken,

I was enjoying these photos of your gorgeous boat and realized they're a couple of months old and you went travelling.  I hope you came nowhere near Utah, without stopping in on me.  My daughter lives in Seattle.  Someday, I'm going to show up on your doorstep, if I can figure out how to get to Canada from there.  

Loving your work.

Carter

Carter- We are in San Diego and are planning to spend most of our vacation time here. When we left BC the weather was getting wetter and colder and the sun and light here make it hard to go home.  I put boat building out of my mind for a few weeks and now I find myself thinking about what I will do next when we get back home. It may be awhile, however, since we having a great time down here. Didn’t pass anywhere near Utah on this trip. If you make it to Seattle let me know and I can advise you on the best way to get to Salt Spring Island. Been wondering how your healing has gone. Back on the OB20 yet? Pics?

I took some pics of ROSIE the day before I took off. It was a gray drizzling day so the pic quality is not great. She looks a bit like a mangy dog without the nonskid on the deck. Should be able to cure that pretty quickly.  Got more paint and varnish work done, stainless rub rails, mocked up steering station and seating. The sliding PH windows, ports and windshield are in place. I made some HERESHOFF inspired windows for the aft PH bulkhead. Pretty happy with them. They allow for easy ventilation and are quite simple. 

I am starting to think about a radar/antenna/masthead light mount for the PH roof. Anybody in the brain trust have ideas?? My brain is maxed out so any help

appreciated.  Only 6,421 details to go!

Cheers,

Ken

378CF063-6F8F-46EE-9891-6B628F04EB72.jpeg

4F9DA8A6-595E-42F5-A6B5-AE38CD604BD3.jpeg

D870555F-B7C4-4743-B090-4757C9EACECB.jpeg

8B316310-D281-4331-A6EC-E05B6629204D.jpeg

102A1405-657A-4A6A-AAB7-D2133F787B10.jpeg

B4D13A0F-FEDA-440E-A6E9-9A979C8BE453.jpeg

60CB3859-97E2-4D8C-A6AD-4C4633399CCB.jpeg

2D9E373E-A478-43ED-8378-510AA8B0C545.jpeg

5463FADA-4F0E-4722-B965-31B9C8A81EB8.jpeg

6F05F8FF-5E7E-45A9-8AFF-7AD52BD04F56.jpeg

0240E272-C9CF-473D-B1D5-B524A297C061.jpeg

334828C0-F7B9-41B1-8F67-35CE3F088028.jpeg

• Like 1

San Diego for the winter, eh? 

Ken, i  think you just became my newest best friend.  A sympathetic boatbuilder buddy in San Diego is even better than Airbandb. Plus, I already know how to get to San Diego. 

The leg is good, thanks for asking.  I confess to milking it for awhile, but it's 90+% healed now.  Apparently, when we're all grown up and sustain injuries, we have to give up any fantasies of becoming professional athletes and have to settle for "pretty good". 

I've been doing some work on my OB project and will post something soon. 

Enjoy your vacation.  I get the impression you're a very happy guy.  I hope I get to meet you someday. 

Carter

Purty work indeed!!! I now will go back to my corner and git me a sawzall and begin cutting away at my mess after your most recent update......:( Your touches  far exceed anything I would have attempted for myself. The amount of work that's involved in creating roundness and follow up trimming and finishing takes some patience. But at least we were on the water yesterday and you are not far behind now.

Hey Guys- You are making me blush.  Chick, you started this whole thing with the pics I saw of Princess. I had been toying with a build for over 10 years but was so involved with kayak/surfski building and racing that I kept it on the back burner.  One day Luanne said, “we should get a skiff”.  Well, the trigger was pulled and within 20 minutes I had found a picture of PRINCESS online and showed it to her. Her reply was “I meant we should buy a small skiff, not build one”. Well, seeing that beautiful design and gorgeous execution put the wheels in motion.  Should I say thanks?? Truth be told, I wish I had started 5 years earlier. Well, not everyday:).

I don’t know if all of you guys are like me and obsessively look at other builders pictures for ideas and inspiration. I imagine I am on the far end of the obsessed scale. Oyster, your build, pics and comments are at the top of my list. When I look at your  and most of the other builders work out there, I see my mistakes, and less than perfect outcomes. Maybe we all do that a bit so if we all keep the pictures and words coming we can see what we may have done well and things we can do better. 

Thanks guys!

Ken

P.S. Carter, Happy most of the time. Grateful all of the time. If nothing else I am very lucky! 

Ken, thanks for the kind words. I think we all are obsessed with looking at pictures of other folks' builds. The wonderful things about pictures is that all of out "goofs" don't show unless we choose to point them out. But, trust me, they are there! NO body is perfect! Not even the Master. Well, looks like you're pretty close, though! We'll continue to follow so WE can be inspired by YOU.

• Like 1