Outer Banks 26 #1

Kennneee

14 hours ago, DaveH said:

Riggs,

Thank you for sharing your engine rigging experience.  I have presumed that I would be making a two hour round trip trek transporting my Bluejacket 25.5 to the dealer for their marks for the bolt holes, returning home to drill oversized  holes and filling them in.  Next,  I return to the dealer for their hole drilling and engine mounting.  I had thought I was alone in going to this degree of effort to preclude engine bolts through raw plywood.

Ken,

You asked me about my thinking on outboard engines.  First, I must impeach my qualifications on outboard engine experience.  For over 45 years, I continue to be a sailboat owner thus my marine engine expertise is primary related to Diesel engines.  

How did I decide on a Yamaha F70?

1.  Weight.    The F70 without a propeller, crankcase and gear case oil weighs 253 pounds.  When first introduced about six years ago it was lighter than most two cycle engines of similar horsepower.  A Yamaha F75/F90 weighs 353 lbs.  I suspect that the additional weight features a more robust lower unit as well as a displacement of 1832 cc versus 996cc  for the F70.  

Once upon a time I had a 22' sailboat that swayed when towed with a 6hp on the transom.  Putting the engine down below forward of the single axle,  the boat towed so much better.   I was towing with a Nash Rambler, had no understanding of tongue weight requirements,  and probably had the tires improperly inflated.  I choose  to ignore these factors, and since I'm old and tired, I reserve the right to remain pig headed in my belief that keeping outboard engine weight down makes for safer  towing.  

2.  Availability of repair personnel.  I have no empirical data to support my contention/bias  that Yamaha help locations are more prevalent than any other manufacturer.  I have a Yamaha repair facility one hour from my front door.  

3.. Known performance.  A sister ship to my Bluejacket has a Yamaha F70 and reports 2.5 gallons per hour fuel burn at 16 knots.  The owner reports a top end of about 23 knots.  My boating career has been at 6 knots day after day under sail with the sole speed  adventure occurring on my sailboat when we hit 12 knots over the bottom while surfing on Delaware Bay in the fringe of a tropical storm.  So, cruising at 16 knots for me is warp speed.

Will I get into a weather situation that more horsepower is needed  to save me?  I don't have the experience to answer that question.  

4. Reliability.  I have been persuaded by boating forums that contemporary outboard engines are all very good thus you can't go wrong with any manufacturer. The three folks I know with midsize Yamahas report that nothing has failed.  

Miscellaneous:

The F70 alternator puts out 17A  at W.O.T.  Based on Honda 60 marketing literature, it appears that 5A are required to run the Honda.   Assuming  this to be the case for the F70, it appears that my engine will have only 12 amps available to recharge two 6v deep cycle batteries. Not sure if there will be enough engine hours in the day for my engine to recharge these batteries from the 50% depletion level.   In contrast, the Yamaha F75 has a 35A alternator.  Will your boat be primarily a long distance cruiser swinging on the hook or like mine a day tripper or marina hopper on longer voyages.  How much electrical/electronic stuff you going to have?  I'm tied of fixing stuff thus my Bluejacket current drawing equipment  will be sparse.  Your thirst for electrical stuff and life style may make alternator capacity a crucial decision factor in engine selection.  

I'm clueless about propeller pitch and sizing.  I will copy what my boat's sistership uses.  I'm told that a stainless steel prop gives better performance than an aluminum one because the steel blades won't distort under load.  I'm told that a steel prop will manage  a strike by only bending and transferring damaging shock to the lower unit while an aluminum prop strike  will snap off a blade thus acting as a fuse to minimize damage to the lower unit.   Until convinced otherwise, I'm using an aluminum prop.  

So there you have my thoughts on outboard engine selection.  I'm a neophyte on the subject thus my thinking and command of the facts may be screwed up. Suggest you consult those with much real life  experience with mid-sized outboards.  

Egbert Dees has an ETEC 75 on his Bluejacket 25.5 thus can provide feedback for you.  

This is fun stuff! 

Dave 

Great reply. later on I will address some of the details pertaining to the engines that you describe.  I actually went a different direction, larger engine even though the weight was more. Of course I highly modified the original 22 plans to the point that  mild  scorn was heaped upon me. And I made a few more mistakes that also created a slightly different bottom.

So please forgive me of my sins when my direction and requirements are not really the same. But the proper  power is really important as you go with a larger hull as with the 26. People start out with an ideal setup only to find themselves loading their boats to the point that even fuel burn is increased right along with the speed decreasing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys- I am about to head off for a road/surfski paddle trip to California for a few weeks.  All work and no play.... I am already thinking of what I want to get done on Rosie when I return.  Will undoubtedly come back with a van load of gear and materials.  I completed the forward cabin top and got it glassed yesterday. Been mortising butt hinges and fine tuning the cabinet harware in the pilothouse, etc.  

Cheers,

Ken

1F7A3C29-FC47-4221-8AF9-4E6D38BA446C.jpeg

72D2227D-7CCB-4CCD-871E-3B8EA6560D1B.jpeg

024F170A-00D9-47AB-904F-01F2922F41E7.jpeg

580053F7-9CD9-44F1-B897-B0F164BF94C1.jpeg

980106C3-05FE-47B4-B130-9ECC323999D1.jpeg

7A7BA6B2-9907-408D-B8FA-7661603CC17F.jpeg

34432D7E-BA09-4F1E-BD16-E29C0E27E5A6.jpeg

50D7B901-7311-4297-A893-968D490FADDA.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hi All- Here are some pics if ROSIE with her hull painted and Sapele Mahogony rails installed.  The motor is sitting in its crate and the trailer should be finished in a few weeks.  Hope to drag her out of the shop when the trailer arrives and mount the motor and pilot house.  Still much to do but it feels like the worst of the grunt work is behind me.

Off to Montana in the morining for a motorcycle trip and break from boat work.  Plan to stop in on Richard Bacon in Corvalis, MT and see his OB 20. 

Ken

6718FDEE-0EE1-4A88-968E-0DE4AD5E7B02.jpeg

999FE303-6EF5-4D5E-B269-609952A3A779.jpeg

35B9556E-3F91-412B-874E-90DE61A4D1CB.jpeg

BCED7E1E-B52B-43F6-AE08-94D5F41809B3.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys- Not lots of progress in the last few weeks.  I did have a good ride out to Montana and visitied with Richard and Kathy Bacon.  They built a beautiful OB 20, LEGACY.  I got to have my first ride in a Outer Banks and was quite impressed with the performance.  Meeting Richard and Kathy was a real treat.  They spent 8 years sailing the world and have a life full creativity and adventure.  People that build boats are often they way as we all know.  Richard has built most of the furniture in his house and was just completing a tear drop trailer for a wedding gift for his granddaughter. Here is a link to a blog of their build

http://baconob20.blogspot.com/

Since I was in the area I looked up an old roommate from 40 years ago.  He lives only a few miles from Richard and Kathy and owns a martial arts school called LEGACY MARTIAL ARTS.  Seems like LEGACY became the theme of the trip. Greg is a master of several martial arts.  From the pics from 40 years ago you can see why he currently needs 2 hip replacements.

Back to Rosie.  The pilot house roof is ready for fiberglass and I should get that done in the next few days.  My trailer should be ready next week so I hope to liberate Rosie from the shop soon. Lots to do but moving forward. More soon.

Ken

E1B1A59B-CBFA-4FDC-B674-D9F356FCEB27.jpeg

9E67ECB5-8B95-476E-B16E-BA079813A453.jpeg

2A60FFD7-4EC6-4DFD-A749-DC675AFCD98E.jpeg

23CB0E72-55C1-472B-8530-49D1DE32F84E.jpeg

C844172A-264D-4913-A78D-A3C15508DFC7.jpeg

B25C20E1-C244-429D-92EE-1E28D2E09573.jpeg

Ken,

Thank you for posting the pictures of the OB 20 build in Montana.  My cousin Bill lives in Bigfork, Mt which is near the northern shore of Flathead Lake which was  named  as one of the lakes your friends Richard and Kathy use their OB.  Bill boats on Flatbead and from his home has mountain views to die for.  Bill is a serious woodworker hobbyist and constructed a very large outbuilding housing his workshop.  How serious is he?  Like you, he owns a Festool Domino joiner which in my mind would gain him and you automatic entrance into the Ferrari owners association.

I enjoyed reading Richard and Kathy's blog on building their boat.  They discussed the learning curve of handling a lightweight boat when docking.  I started this learning experience  in May, the first time I used my Bluejacket, when my skill in docking  a deep draft displacement hull sailboat was useless in docking a "cork" .

I too very much enjoyed visiting other boat builders and gaining knowledge and inspiration on my build.

Very  kind of you to document your visit and expose  us to the georgeous Montana scenery.  My thanks to Richard and Kathy for their boat building blog.  

Thanks Dave. I know that Egbert put a bow thruster on his Bluejacket to help with close quarters maneuvering.  Would love to hear how that worked out.

I think all of us builders appreciate the inspiration we get from the online community.  Sure has helped me a great deal.

Ken

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2018 at 11:57 PM, Kennneee said:

Thanks Dave. I know that Egbert put a bow thruster on his Bluejacket to help with close quarters maneuvering.  Would love to hear how that worked out.

I think all of us builders appreciate the inspiration we get from the online community.  Sure has helped me a great deal.

Ken

Here are some pictures of the installed bow thruster.  Trick is to find the right spot in an existing boat.  It needs to be as far forward as possible but at the same time it also needs to be far enough submerged to be effective.  Mine did fit nicely under the v-berth.  I also put a dedicated battery next to the thruster.  Thing draws a tremendous amount of amps for very short bursts.  I used the boat only once for just a short run on our creek.  The thruster did move the bow around, that's all I can tell.  It's a Lewmar 140 TT 2 KW.

Egbert

0724181504.thumb.jpg.baf51c525ca5adb2acc6ab0d0cdf7a92.jpg0724181504a.thumb.jpg.10d7f87891a859238e3d99d75cbcbc1d.jpg0724181507a.thumb.jpg.a03c4ab4ebd6aee406a36daa40f60b9d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys- Rosie is on her trailer, out of the shop and in the bow shed.  Had some great help jacking her up and getting the trailer under her.  It only took 20 seconds. These boys work fast. Check out the video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ha9E6yF8phx85QM66

The pilot house had to come off to get her out the door. I have the pilot house sides, windshield permanently secured now with the roof ready to be fastened in place.  I made the windshield frame from Australian Lace. Wood.  A tip of the hat to the Aussie designer plus I had a some boards I have been saving for something special. 

Hope to be painting the cabin sides very soon (buff). 

I am playing with the steering station ergonomics and should have that ready soon. Only 8,642 details fo go.

Ken

19335657-7607-4BD6-BC6B-5583670CC112.png

CEE9093D-C2D4-44B7-91BD-5EE3685CC1BF.jpeg

DF89EA21-5D52-4C01-8FDA-09A590DB739F.jpeg

745D9872-5CAD-4F30-918D-A64CC369C83E.jpeg

36ED528A-7FAB-4C49-9D92-5DDA25133D6F.jpeg

589D7C7C-A78B-43C4-81A2-B11EC090656B.jpeg

Oyster- I have seen pics of your work and it is impressive but thanks for the complimet. Coming from you It means a lot!  How was Maine?

Ken

Hi Guys- Rosie is on her trailer, out of the shop and in the bow shed.  Had some great help jacking her up and getting the trailer under her.  It only took 20 seconds. These boys work fast. Check out the video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ha9E6yF8phx85QM66

The pilot house had to come off to get her out the door. I have the pilot house sides, windshield permanently secured now with the roof ready to be fastened in place.  I made the windshield frame from Australian Lace. Wood.  A tip of the hat to the Aussie designer plus I had a some boards I have been saving for something special. 

Hope to be painting the cabin sides very soon (buff). 

I am playing with the steering station ergonomics and should have that ready soon. Only 8,642 details fo go.

Ken

Chick- Don't forget it was all of the beautiful detailing and work you did on Princess that planted the seed for this build.  Should I thank or blame you ?:) I guess it depends on whether  I am sanding or stepping back and admiring the beautiful lines.

Ken