Back brace mounting question

bagarre

You need to be able to adjust the band to be near, but not up against the back of the combing.  Back more = more room, but against the combing defeats the point of a back band.  Being able to adjust the band forward a bit is good too as it gives more room to make it fit you.  I adjusted my back bands most of the way long and set the screw locations to hold the band just forward of touching the combing.  This gave me the maximum adjustment possibilities forward in case I wanted.

• Like 1

I was going to drill thru holes right beneath the coaming lip and use a stainless rectangular tee nut, tucked up tight under the lip. I didn't like the shiny bling that would have made on the outside of my mahogany coaming, so I just used stainless sheet metal screws. It works fine.

tee-nut_zpscnx4baid.png

Here's the back rest mounted on my boat. The pad is 4 inches in front of the frame and the screws aren't too far forward, so the straps don't pinch in on the paddler's sides. Also, the plastic strap ends don't dig into the paddler's elbows.

_NAB1679-Edit_zpsuyfkcsr4.jpeg