Poco Barta Loftings.

doug357

I was transferring loftings to paper when I found a descrepency in one of the lofting numbers. In the book: Fuselage Frame Boats A guide to Building Skin Kayaks and Canoes by S. Jeff Horton on page 60 the lofting numbers should be gettting larger as the frames progress and smaller towards the stern. At the 5'6" frame the numbers are small. They should be bigger than the frame at the 3'4" station. Now I have to do some figuring to get the next set of numbers. Any thoughts? I have included a pic of the page.

post-5346-0-02478000-1470504211_thumb.jpg

My reply didn't show up!  Yes, I think that you have a copy of the book where the metric and Imperial numbers got mixed up.

Look toward the back and there is a web address where I posted corrections for some of the earlier printings. That should be listed with corrections. I can't remember the address. If you can't find it, send me an email and I get you the corrections.

Let me ask you this Jeff. I want a very stable Kayak plan big enuff for a guy like me, 6'4" @ 212lbs. Would the Poco Barta do that for me or would you recommend a different design? Not looking for a race boat but a cruiser.

I'm 6'5" and 215 and find even the FreeB plenty comfy. If stability is a prime consideration, I might pick something wider than 23"... Sounds like you're looking for a Vardo. FWIW, being on the verge of finishing my 5th SOF boat in about as many months, Jeff's plans are totally worth it over building from lofts. I wouldn't say that about just anyone's or everyone's plans, but without hesitation on Jeff's plans.

Not sure why you are not getting my emails but I am working on the getting the web page back up this morning.

Let me ask you this Jeff. I want a very stable Kayak plan big enuff for a guy like me, 6'4" @ 212lbs. Would the Poco Barta do that for me or would you recommend a different design? Not looking for a race boat but a cruiser.

Any of them will fit you just fine.  I always send people to this page to start with. 
http://www.kudzucraft.com/web/which-boat-should-i-build